About Data Sciences
The Engineering Sciences - Data Science program of the University at Buffalo trains students in the emerging and high demand area of data and computing sciences. In fact, many surveys of employment have highlighted the great need for suitably trained professionals in these areas, estimating deficits of personnel availability in only the US at as high as 150,000 a year.
Students will be trained in sound basic theory with an emphasis on practical aspects of data, computing and analysis. Graduates will be able to serve the analytics needs of employers and will be exposed to several areas of application. The degree can be specialized using electives and a project. Classes will be modestly sized and emphasize best classroom practices while employing online resources to reinforce the classroom experience.
Students in this program will need some prior knowledge of mathematics, statistics and computing (commensurate with that from an engineering/natural science/math undergraduate program, see below for detail). The program can be completed in one calendar year of study.The University at Buffalo has responded aggressively to these trends by first establishing a doctoral program in Computational and Data Sciences. UB has been a research pioneer in these areas and faculty have much expertise and decades of experience and assets like the world leading Center for Computational Research with unmatched facilities for big computing and data.
- Probability Theory for Data Science
- Numerical Mathematics for Computing and Data Scientists
- Statistical Learning and Data Mining
- Programming and Database Fundamentals for Data Scientists
- Machine Learning
- Data Models Query Language
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeneral Engineering & Technology Data Science & Big Data View 396 other Masters in Data Science & Big Data in United States
- Some prior knowledge of mathematics, statistics and computing (commensurate with that from an engineering/natural science/math undergraduate program) is required.
- Equivalent of a B average or better in a recognized undergraduate program; GRE: 300+ (waived for recent UB undergraduate students)
- Math: Calculus, Multivariate Calculus, Linear Algebra (e.g., UB course MTH 309) Statistics:
- Basic Statistics and Probability
- Computer Science: Programming (at least one language - C/C++/Python/Java), Data Structures (e.g., UB course CSE 113)
- Application Form
- Application Fee ($85)
- Personal Statement
- College Transcripts
- Letters of Recommendation (3)
- GRE Scores (recommended for Engineering Sciences programs)
- TOEFL Scores (for International Students only)
- Financial Statement (for International Students only)
International23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 12 months.
National23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State11310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5655 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Buffalo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.