Contour Fashion is a huge, established and specialised field within fashion design. It is defined by garments worn close to, or shaping the contours of the human form, including corsetry, lingerie, swimwear, performance sportswear, nightwear and athleisure. The Contour Fashion Innovation MA course from De Montfort University is ideal for contour graduates with advanced pattern-cutting skills wishing to further their practice, or fashion or textile graduates who want to specialise in contour design.
During this course, we prepare our graduates to succeed in this competitive and fast-developing industry. Our unparalleled understanding of the sector informs the curriculum and includes loungewear, sportswear and athleisurewear – these specialisms are in high demand following the global shift to remote working which has led to a growth in comfort-inspired, fashion-driven work attire. Marketing and visual communication is examined from the viewpoint of a creative individual, giving you the skills to develop a leading-edge portfolio and the insight into how a contour fashion label might be launched into the market place.
- Contour Fashion is a specialist area within Fashion design, defined by garments worn close to or shaping the contours of the human form. Traditionally, Contour Fashion graduates have sought careers as designers, technologists and pattern cutters of foundation garments such as corsetry, lingerie and swimwear. Increasingly, roles extend to performance sportswear, athleisure, nightwear, medical, wearable technology and within sustainable advancement.
- Graduates from the Contour Fashion Innovation MA may also pursue careers within the contour industry in communications, trend and PR. DMU Contour boasts a rich history of successful entrepreneurs, such as latex lingerie specialist Elissa Poppy, and the Enterprise Team supports students who wish to start their own businesses.
- Contour Foundations
- Research Methods
- Design, Innovation and Sustainability
- Fashion Promotion and Marketing
- Integrated Brand Management
- Business Planning for Creative Entrepreneurs
- Managing Business Web Presence
- Critical Perspectives on Ethical and Sustainable Fashion
- Global Markets: Designing Businesses for International Growth
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesMarketing Fashion, Textiles and Luxury Goods Fashion Design View 146 other Masters in Fashion, Textiles and Luxury Goods in United Kingdom
- You should have the equivalent or above of a 2:2 UK undergraduate honours design degree in a contour, fashion design or textile design related subject
- A good level of general pattern-cutting skills is required, however you do not need to have experience of specialist Contour garment pattern cutting before applying
- If you have other professional qualifications and industry experience we will consider your application on an individual basis
- Applicants with relevant qualifications should submit a portfolio of work
- Non-standard applicants will be invited to attend an interview with a portfolio and a 2,500-word report
- Download and complete the international application form
- A copy of your qualifications
- A copy of your English language certificate
- A personal statement of at least 500 words explaining why you want to study your chosen course at DMU and any additional information that will support your application
- A copy of your passport
- Two references
International15100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15100 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8560 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8560 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Part-time fees will be £715 per 15 credits
Living costs for Leicester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.