The MFA in Sonic Arts from The City University of New York aims to help develop historically and theoretically informed and technically skilled composers and artists.
Graduates of this program should be capable of pursuing successful careers in the arts and commercial media industry. The curriculum is flexible and includes weekly private composition lessons (for four semesters) with a member of our internationally acclaimed faculty, as well as courses on the creation of sounds (both composition and sound design), instrument building, and interactivity.
- Sonic Arts Composition
- Computer Music
- Building Electronic Music Instruments
- Computer-Assisted Music Composition
- Interactive Computer Music
- History of Electronic and Computer Music
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
Applications accepted on a rolling basis until all places are filled
DisciplinesMusic Musicology View 1088 other Masters in Music in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (applicants who earned a bachelor's degree outside the United States need to submit a 'Course by Course International Transcript Evaluation.')
- Statement of purpose of approximately 500 words, typed, double-spaced, explaining your experience, artistic vision, career goals, and the technologies of your practice.
- Two letters of recommendation from former instructors, employers, or other people familiar with you and your work.
- F-1 or J-1 international students must submit English Proficiency Exam.
- Submit a creative portfolio of 3-5 completed works. Works may contain sound recordings, scores, video, and/or other documentation, plus artist's notes on each work.
- Selected applicants will be interviewed, either during a campus visit (recommended) or via telephone or video conference.
International25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 24 months.
National25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 24 months.
New York State Residents
Full-Time $5,545 per semester
Part-Time $470 per credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.