Areas of study in the Media Scoring program from The City University of New York include music composition, conducting, orchestration, music supervision, music business, music editing, sound design, and recording. Media Scoring students take classes at Feirstein Graduate School of Cinema and collaborate directly on visual media projects as part of their curriculum.
Students have the opportunity to work one-on-one with faculty as well as in small group classes, developing the knowledge and skills to master the scoring process as it exists today.
Student Learning Outcomes
This degree program offers students advanced knowledge and practical experience in the composition and production music scores for media, including cinema, television, video games, animation, and other commercial applications. The intended audience includes composers possessing a bachelor’s degree in music (or demonstrated equivalency) who wish to pursue a career in scoring or related positions.
The primary goal of the program is to develop historically and theoretically informed, technically skilled composers working in collaborative contexts with visual media. Graduates of this program will be capable of pursuing successful careers in the arts and commercial media industry in New York and beyond.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Media Scoring Lessons
- Orchestration for Cinema
- Scoring for Motion Pictures and New Media
- Sequencing and Sampling
- Sound Design
- Music Business for Media
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications accepted on a rolling basis until all places are filled.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Video Games & Multimedia View 298 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (applicants who earned a bachelor's degree outside the United States need to submit a 'Course by Course International Transcript Evaluation.')
- Statement of purpose of approximately 500 words, typed, double-spaced, explaining your experience, artistic vision, and career goals.
- Two letters of recommendation from former instructors, employers, or other people familiar with you and your work.
- F-1 or J-1 international students must submit English Proficiency Exam
- Submit a creative portfolio of 2-3 completed works containing scores, sound recordings, video files with soundtracks, documentation of works and performances, and artist's notes on each work.
International25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 24 months.
National25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 24 months.
New York State ResidentsFull-Time $5,545 per semester*Part-Time $470 per credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.