MAT On Campus

Earth Science Teacher (7-12) Concentration for in-service teachers

12 months
855 USD/credit 25650 USD/year
855 USD/credit 25650 USD/year
Tuition fee
Apply date
Start date


The Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences in conjunction with the Department of Secondary Education, offers a Master of Arts in Teaching Earth Science Teacher (7-12) Concentration for in-service teachers from The City University of New York and New York State Teaching Certificate in Adolescent Science Education with a specialization in earth science in grades 7-12.


Earth Science Teacher (7-12) Concentration for in-service teachers from The City University of New York is designed for in-service teachers of any subject who wish to obtain certification in Earth science. 

What you'll study

This master of arts in teaching program provides students with courses linking content and pedagogy across the content areas in Earth science required to teach the New York State Earth science curriculum. The program places a special emphasis on place-based instruction using the cultural and natural resources of New York City and State.

Applicants should consult matriculation requirements for adolescence education and special subjects in the Department of Secondary Education section of the Bulletin, and should contact the Program Coordinator for advisement.

The profession of teacher education is licensed by the New York State Education Department. Therefore, program requirements are subject to change.

Programme Structure

Courses include:

  • Earth Science and the New York City Urban Environment
  • Geology through Global Arts and Artifacts
  • Global Catastrophes
  • Geology of the National Parks
  • Research Seminar in Teaching: Science and Environmental Education I
  • Research Seminar in Teaching and Learning: Science and Environmental Education II

Key information


  • Full-time
    • 12 months

Start dates & application deadlines

More details

Rolling Admission


30 SCH


On Campus

Academic requirements

GPA admission requirements GPA

Student insurance

Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:

  • Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
  • Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
  • Liability
  • Home contents and baggage
  • Accidents
  • Legal aid

We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.

Get your student insurance now

Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.

Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at The City University of New York and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.

Other requirements

General requirements

  • Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (applicants who earned a bachelor's degree outside the United States need to submit a 'Course by Course International Transcript Evaluation.')
  • Two letters of recommendation
  • Resume
  • A brief biographical statement of 500 to 1,000 words describing your reasons for pursuing the specific graduate program to which you are applying and your future professional goals.
  • GRE scores
  • F-1 or J-1 international students must submit English Proficiency Exam.
  • Interview with department.

Tuition Fee

To alway see correct tuition fees
  • International

    25650 USD/year
    Tuition Fee
    Based on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
  • National

    25650 USD/year
    Tuition Fee
    Based on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.

New York State Residents

Full-Time $5,545 per semester

Part-Time $470 per credit

Living costs for New York City

1819 - 3968 USD /month
Living costs

The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.


Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.

Our partners

Earth Science Teacher (7-12) Concentration for in-service teachers
The City University of New York


Go to your profile page to get personalised recommendations!