The Asian Studies master's programme at Leiden University offers one-year specialisations in East Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia, the History, Arts and Culture of Asia, and the Politics, Society and Economy of Asia, as well as two-year specialisations in China, Japan, Korea.
Expertise on Asia at Leiden University is internationally renowned and spans the whole of Asia. Small classes give you direct and regular contact with your lecturers, many of whom are at the leading edge of Asia-related research worldwide.
With an expansive curriculum and flexible programme format, the MA in Asian Studies allows you to tailor your degree to reflect your interests or career ambitions. Choose to focus on a language and a single country, or on a specific discipline and region, with access to an unmatched range of diverse electives.
Career prospectsSome of the occupations of our graduates include:
- Account manager at a translation agency
- Project manager at a trading and consultancy company in India
- Owner of a consultancy firm
- Consultant at a defence and security company
- Communications officer at an animation studio in Japan
- Relations management officer at an organisation promoting internationalisation in education
- Editor at an academic publishing house
- Content editor at a booking website
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureTwo-year specialisations on China, Japan, and Korea
- The specialisations Chinese Studies, Japanese Studies, and Korean Studies are two years in duration and offer the possibility of an in-depth analysis of one country in East Asia. They each require advanced proficiency in the relevant language.
- All three programmes require the completion of a bachelor’s degree in Chinese studies, Japanese studies or Korean studies, depending on the programme. Disciplinary specialisation is at the core of each, and involves the development of fluent classical or modern language skills.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 98 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- We invite motivated students from around the world to apply for the Master of Arts in Asian Studies.
- Admission requirements may vary per specialisation, please visit the specialisation of your interest to find out more about the entry requirements.
International18300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18300 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.