The Master's in Media Studies - Film Studies from University of Amsterdam is a unique one-year programme that offers a theoretically rigorous engagement with the field of film studies and visual culture.
The programme approaches the study of film as a multi-faceted phenomenon, one that plays a vital and ever-changing role in contemporary digital media culture. Film Studies is situated within the internationally ranked Department of Media Studies at the University of Amsterdam, which brings together renowned scholars from a variety of media and theoretical perspectives.
Film Studies at the University of Amsterdam
- The programme invites students to engage critically and creatively with the field through a series of core courses in film-philosophy, media archaeology, and (trans)national and global audiovisual practices.
- Students also take part in intensive research seminars that explore specialised topics related to the expertise of the core film faculty.
- Each student writes their own Master's thesis, a major piece of independent research and writing conducted under the close supervision of a faculty member.
- With its many festivals, its rich cinematic tradition, its archives, museums and cultural institutions, Amsterdam allows you to immerse yourself in a nourishing and dynamic context that continually reflects what you are studying.
- Thriving venues for film and media culture include the Dutch Film Institute EYE, the International Documentary Festival Amsterdam (IDFA) and the International Rotterdam Film Festival (IFFR), as well as many local cinemas and exhibition spaces.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Film Research Seminar
- Film Theories & Practices
- Cinema Histories and Cultures
- Research Project
- Master's Thesis Film Studies
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media View 9 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in Netherlands
The Master’s in Film Studies is open for application to all students with a Bachelor’s degree from the UvA, or another accredited university in:
- A discipline in the Humanities related to Media Studies, or the Social Sciences with a strong focus on Media Studies as developed from a Humanities perspective, including media analyses, media practices, text and audience analysis (to be decided upon by the selection committee).
International15620 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15620 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.