Why this programme
The MRC-University of Glasgow Centre for Virus Research (CVR) sits within the Institute of Infection, Immunology and Inflammation. The CVR is the largest virology-focussed research centre in the UK and brings together a critical mass of researchers studying human and animal viruses and viral diseases.
The CVR provides excellent facilities and opportunities for cross-disciplinary projects and the delivery of a comprehensive programme of training in contemporary, multi-disciplinary, virology research. The Centre includes research programmes in arboviruses, Epstein Barr virus, feline calicivirus, herpes viruses, hepatitis C virus, influenza, retroviruses and papillomaviruses.
The excellent facilities in the Virology programme of the University of Glasgow underpin a bench to bedside approach that will equip you with training complementary to a range of career options, and you can tailor your study pathway to the precise aspects of infection and immunology that suit your objectives. Through their research interests in drug development, vaccines and diagnostics, many of our project supervisors have strong links with industry.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Cross cutting research themes and expertise include:
- antiviral immunity
- virus discovery
- viral bioinformatics, mathematical modelling and genomics to guide new approaches to the understanding and management of viral infections
- structural biology/cryo-electron microscopy and viral evolutionary dynamics
- molecular virology to in vivo pathogenesis
- virus-cell interactions
- viral immunology
- viral ecology
- viral oncology
- clinical and veterinary virology
- viral diagnostics
- virus epidemiology
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesBiology Human Medicine Genetics View 452 other Masters in Biology in United Kingdom
- A 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent
- For applicants whose first language is not English, the University sets a minimum English Language proficiency level
- Final or current degree transcripts including grades (and an official translation, if needed)
- Degree certificates (and an official translation, if needed)
- Two references on headed paper and signed by the referee
- Research proposal, CV, samples of written work as per requirements for each subject area
International23000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National4500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Glasgow
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.