Why this programme
The History of Art programme of the University of Glasgow offers unique opportunities for:
- object-based learning using outstanding local collections and archives
- training in research methods and skills
- participation in many extra-curricular activities in the School of Culture and Creative Arts, detailed on our Student Life pages. Study is complemented by a lively programme of research seminars, to which postgraduates contributes, which includes lectures delivered by leading art and design historians, conservators and other visiting academics.
Areas available for research supervision include:
- European art historical periods, particularly medieval, Renaissance, 17th, 18th and 19th centuries
- Modernist studies, particularly Dada and Surrealism
- Chinese art and culture
- the development and application of art theory, particularly gender and post-1945
- collecting practices, collections and museums technical art history: interdisciplinary research into artists’ materials, methods, and studio practices in the past and present, artists’ intent, authenticity and authentication
- material culture studies, particularly decorative art and design history
- dress textile history
- textile conservation and textile conservation science.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History Museum Studies View 101 other Masters in Museum Studies in United Kingdom
- Our regular standard of admission is at least an Upper Second Class Honours degree (2:1), although candidates will usually also have completed or be undertaking a Masters qualification
- Candidates are required to provide an outline of the proposed research subject in about 1000 words
- For applicants whose first language is not English, the University sets a minimum English Language proficiency level
- Final or current degree transcripts including grades (and an official translation, if needed)
- Degree certificates (and an official translation, if needed)
- Two references on headed paper and signed by the referee
International20400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20400 GBP per year during 12 months.
National4596 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4596 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Glasgow
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.