Taught by a team of specialist researcher-practitioners, you will explore themes that will include sound for linear and non-linear narrative, interactive media and virtual realities.
You will be based in a school that is purpose-built for today’s fast-moving creative and digital sectors - equipped with the latest cutting edge technologies to enable you to develop industry-standard skills for creating and researching sound content across a wide range of digital platforms. SODA also offers opportunities for cross-disciplinary learning and to to collaborate within our dynamic creative community of photographers, filmmakers, games developers and more.
During the course you will develop professional links with the creative community and industries both locally, nationally and internationally. Guest lectures and masterclasses by international industry practitioners and researchers will help you to place your work within a context of innovative global sound practice.
SODA is well positioned within Manchester as a great place for students to build a network and develop research and practice in the media, games and digital tech industries. It is also home to staff from a wide range of creative disciplines, who are research-active and experts in their chosen areas. They also enjoy well-established links to the wider creative media, arts and digital tech industries.
Features and Benefits
- The Sound Design course at Manchester Metropolitan University offers a close collaborative environment in which viewpoints and contemporary working practices are easily shared across a range of creative disciplines.
- We encourage the richness of opportunity that results from practitioners working together across a diverse range of creative backgrounds.
- The course features a holistic approach to soundtrack creation, in which the sound designer explores all aspects of the sound environment from Foley and SFX to music and dialogue.
- The flexibility within the curriculum will allow you to focus upon and develop your key interests and creative aspirations, and build a folio of practice that will establish your identity as an emerging practitioner.
- Interdisciplinary Practice
- Independent Project
- Reimagining Technologies
- Digital Innovation
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesDesign User Experience Design Media Studies & Mass Media View 337 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in United Kingdom
- ou will normally have at least a 2:1 undergraduate UK honours degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. creative/digital arts, management, education, science etc). A 2.2 will also be considered.
- Equivalent EU/international qualifications are also accepted. Applicants who do not meet these criteria will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Other professional qualifications will be considered on merit and/or with relevant professional experience.
International17500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Manchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.