Delivered in collaboration with leading industry professionals including our partners for this MA, Comma Press, this course will equip you with the knowledge and skills for a variety of careers in publishing. You will explore the complex anatomies and eco-systems of the publishing industry and their markets in the UK and internationally, as well as the trends, innovations, opportunities and challenges facing this rapidly changing profession.
Through the duration of the course, you will gain a working knowledge of the business of publishing, examining the structures of a range of organisational models – from major corporate brands to small independent outfits; and you will develop an understanding of the different stages, roles and skills involved in the publishing process, and the different publishing formats and platforms available.
This Publishing course at Manchester Metropolitan University also has a distance learning option available for part-time students.
Features and Benefits
- An exciting new Masters degree - suitable for many educational and professional backgrounds, with a strong focus on employability.
- Based in Manchester – a UNESCO city of Literature, with a burgeoning culture of creative industries looking for talented graduates, and an exceptional growth of publishing ventures and opportunities. With two of the biggest publishing corporations, Hachette and Harper Collins, opening offices here, we believe there has never been a better time to study Publishing in Manchester.
- Industry connections – in partnership with Comma Press and with strong links to the Northern Fiction Alliance, alongside visits from key personnel at Hachette and Harper Collins, we offer professional expertise from all aspects of the publishing industry.
- International focus – with links to other UNESCO cities of Literature and to the strong tradition of promoting literature in translation provided by the Northern fiction Alliance, we encourage applicants from all over the world.
- Creative and academic expertise – this MA combines the skills of the UK’s most successful programme of Creative Writing, with the international expertise of the Department of Languages, Information and Communication, to give you the greatest possible range of expertise.
- Exciting coursework opportunities – choose from a range of options and practical projects that allow you to bring your own creativity and innovation to all publishing platforms and media.
- Interdisciplinary – you will be encouraged to engage with other departments, including the Manchester Writing School, Journalism, Art and Illustration, Education and Linguistics, and guest speakers from a variety of disciplines will offer their advice and expertise. Publishing is truly interdisciplinary and our specialisms reflect that.
- The Business of Publishing
- How Publishing Operates
- Book Design and Production
- Sales and Marketing
- Digital Content Production
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
There is no deadline for applications to our postgraduate programs, however we recommend you apply as early as possible.
DisciplinesCreative Writing Liberal Arts View 247 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United Kingdom
- You will normally have a minimum 2.1 UK undergraduate honours degree in a humanities, social sciences or other related subject such as business, digital media, finance, journalism, law, marketing).
- Non standard applicants are encouraged to apply via submission of an application form, personal statement, one reference and interview.
International16500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8500 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK and Channel Island: £1417 per 30 credits studied per year.
- Eu and Non-Eu International: £2750 per 30 credits studied per year.
Living costs for Manchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.