The Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, Grades K-12, Initial Certification MA program from New York University combines core foundation classes and content electives with fieldwork and student teaching. You’ll study teaching methods, the second-language classroom, second language research, foundations in linguistics, the structure of American English, intercultural or multicultural perspectives in education, teaching students with special needs, and adolescent learners in urban contexts, and complete a culminating project.
Elective courses focus on topics such as language assessment and evaluation, teaching second language in a technological society, and teaching second language across content areas.
Throughout your curriculum, you’ll learn:
- Second-language teaching approaches that can be adjusted to suit the needs of learners from diverse linguistic, educational, and ethnic backgrounds
- An understanding of urban educational environments and the social, cultural, and economic factors that influence learning
- Second language pedagogy, second language acquisition research, linguistics, English grammar, and intercultural or multicultural studies
- How to develop and implement innovative classroom strategies and curricula
- An appreciation for cultural diversity in global educational settings
This program leads to eligibility for New York State initial teaching certification for teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL), grades K–12, and prepares you for careers including:
- Teacher of English to speakers of other languages in elementary and secondary schools, community colleges, universities, community organizations, and immigrant resettlement agencies
- Curriculum developer, specialist, or evaluator
- Researcher, teacher educator, trainer, or program coordinator in governmental and nonprofit educational agencies and multinational corporations
- Teaching Second Languages across Content Areas
- Second Language Evaluation and Assessment
- Teaching Second Languages in a Technological Society
- Workshop in Teaching Foreign Languages
- Research & Practice in Academic English Writing for ELLs
- Teaching EFL in International Settings
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTeaching Teaching English View 1845 other Masters in Teaching in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Standardized Test Information – GMAT or GRE (and TOEFL if required);
- Transcripts & Degrees;
- Professional Information;
- EQ endorsements must be submitted online;
- International Student Supplement.
International78780 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2020 USD per credit during 12 months.
National78780 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2020 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.