The Master in Linguistics in Phonetics and Phonology from University of Paris targets students planning to do research in linguistics or planning to pursue a language-related profession, with special interest in phonetics and phonology and offers advanced theoretical and experimental training, including the analysis of speech acoustics, articulation, and perception, thus also leading to more applied fields.
What you'll study
Courses are taught in the Linguistics Department on the Campus Grands Moulins, and on the campus of the Université Sorbonne Nouvelle – Paris 3. This is a joint training program offered through a formal agreement between the two institutions.
Two research papers are required: a shorter one at the end of the first year, and a longer one, which will be defended at the end of the second year. A research internship is mandatory.
Skills and competencies developed
- Developing synthetic and analytical skills (describing and explaining linguistic processes);
- Formulating original research questions;
- Formulating research hypotheses in relation to theoretical frameworks and designing rigorous experimental methods to test the hypotheses;
- Learning to do quantitative and qualitative analyses of production and perception data collected in the laboratory or in the field.
- The program prepares students for a variety of professions: linguistic research, research in language teaching, professions involving language, speech, speech pathology, communication, language policy (e.g., regional languages and accents, European integration, etc.), professions involving the acoustic analysis of speech, etc.
This is a two-year program (two semesters per year), including courses in general linguistics and courses specialized in phonetics and phonology. All classes are “English-friendly”, and involve readings primarily in English. Writing in English is possible and encouraged.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 12 other Masters in Linguistics in France
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Degrees required for first year admission
- 3rd year Bachelor’s degree in Language Sciences (SDL at Université de Paris);
- 3rd year Bachelor’s degree in Language Sciences (SDL) or “Lettres” from a different university;
- Other degrees: Humanities; Languages with an SDL option; Philosophy; Psychology, other.
- Degrees required for registration in 2d year: Master 1 in Linguistics, or Psycholinguistics, or Speech Processing
- Admission is conditional on a level of English sufficient to read a scientific article, to understand and participate in a discussion of such an article in English.
- English: B2+
International243 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 243 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA243 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 243 EUR per year during 24 months.
243 € + 91 € CVEC*
Living costs for Paris
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.