From clean energy to clean water, advanced materials provide the building blocks of innovation in a vast range of sectors and applications. As a materials chemist, you may design and develop intelligent products for areas such as health, energy, mobility and communication, as well as environment and climate management.
Our MSc Advanced Materials at Manchester Metropolitan University offers the chance to get to grips with materials chemistry including the design, analysis and characterisation of materials. With a multi-disciplinary approach, we offer a fascinating combination of chemistry and project management to develop your professional skills and prepare you to join the next generation of materials scientists.
The course is suited to talented chemists and scientists with a passion for analysing and creating innovative materials. With a core interest in materials chemistry, on this course, you’ll develop an in-depth understanding of the relationship between the structure and performance of different materials, the fundamental principles driving the development of innovative products, and strategies for the design and development of novel materials.
Features and Benefits
- Cutting-edge equipment – Learn the latest analysis and monitoring techniques, with state-of-the-art facilities in our Department of Natural Sciences.
- Research expertise – We’re home to leading research groups like PrintCity, our 3D additive and digital manufacturing centre, and Manchester Fuel Cell Innovation Centre, which is leading the way in harnessing renewable energy.
- Professional impact – With a mix of practical skills, research-led understanding and industry-standard project management techniques, this course offers the professional tools you’ll need for your career in the field.
- Optional placement year – Boost your career prospects and put theory into practice with an industry placement year.
- Advanced Project and Personal Management
- Management of Projects Fundamentals
- Bulk Characterisation Techniques in Material Science
- Energy Materials
- Innovative Materials
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
There is no deadline for applications to our postgraduate programmes, however we recommend you apply as early as possible.
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Chemistry Energy & Power Engineering View 160 other Masters in Energy & Power Engineering in United Kingdom
- You’ll need a UK honours degree – at least a 2:2 – or the international equivalent, in a relevant materials or chemistry-related subject.
- We will also consider engineering graduates on an individual basis, to ensure that they have the chemistry skills required for the research project. We may also consider your application if you can demonstrate highly relevant work experience in a related field.
International18500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10000 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Manchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.