About the Product Design course at University of Huddersfield
This course aims to expand your undergraduate base by encouraging you to engage with more advanced and trans-disciplinary approaches to design development, material technologies, fabrication processes and manufacturing techniques, including an exploration of advanced 3D digital technologies in our Phidias Lab that contains cutting-edge digital tools essential as part of a 21st century toolkit.
You will develop a greater understanding of design practice, learn more about research methodologies and have the opportunity to explore advance design techniques, emerging digital technologies to enhance your skillset. You will also have routes to improve your knowledge of user interface design, enterprise, business, collaborative design, medical design, advanced 3D CAD application, Class A Surfacing, Simulations, Virtual Reality, Additive Manufacturing.
The aims of the course are to:
- Encourage your confidence in your academic and creative potential through mastering core 3D Design knowledge and understanding through practice at the forefront of your discipline.
- Develop innovative and imaginative approaches to materials, processes and methodologies in 3D Design, and rigorously test these ideas against current trends within the creative industries.
- Experiment, expand and encourage progressive and ethical thinking in the practices of 3D Design to meet future industrial and commercial demands.
- Provide a postgraduate teaching and learning experience exploring the opportunities and challenges of 3D Design in the contemporary world, based on the professional and research strengths of the School's highly qualified and experienced staff.
- Enable you to evidence awareness and relevance of your practice in relation to professional standards in product design, such as through developing and demonstrating highly developed research and manufacturing skills addressing design challenges.
The course enables you to develop knowledge and understanding in critically appraising the importance of social, technological and cultural dimensions of product design as applied to your own and others practice. Including its emerging and future trends such as, but not limited to, commercial product design and its impact on individual and community well-being. You will develop skills to plan, negotiate, and implement the creation of coherent outputs underpinned by advanced practice and research in product design.
There are many exciting opportunities within the creative industries for innovators in such areas as industrial, domestic product manufacturers, the retail sector and freelance/consultancy. The education sector or further doctoral study are also options.
The expectation is that you will seek to enter the Product/Industrial Design industries into roles such as: Industrial Designer, Design manager, Product Designer, Furniture Designer, Product Manager, Materials Engineer, Modelling and Prototyping Expert, Design Visualiser.
- Research Methods and Project Proposal
- Creative Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Creative Studio
- Advanced 3D Digital Design
- Product Design Major Project
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesIndustrial Design Design Entrepreneurship View 547 other Masters in Design in United Kingdom
Entry requirements for this course are normally:
- An Honours degree (2:2 or above) in a relevant subject or an equivalent professional qualification.
- Alternative qualifications and/or significant experience may be accepted, subject to approval.
- International students with qualifications in 'creative' or 'practice' subjects should submit a digital portfolio (pdf) of work with their application.
- All suitably qualified applicants are normally invited in for an informal chat with a portfolio or considered for admittance under alternative arrangements, such as a skype chat.
International16000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National7900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7900 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Huddersfield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.