About the Photography course at University of Huddersfield
The Masters course provides an opportunity for you to challenge and hone your professional approaches to the discipline for a range of creative platforms and contexts.
Our course aims to enable you to:
- Critically appraise the importance of social, ethical, technological and cultural dimensions of photography as applied to your personal practice and that of others.
- Evidence advanced knowledge and understanding of photography and its current and emerging global applications such as, but not limited to, advertising, architectural commercial, editorial, fine art, fashion and photojournalism.
- Systematically plan, negotiate and implement topical research to substantiate a coherent body of advanced photographic practice.
- Contribute to the principles and processes of photography in supporting innovation within commercial or creative industries.
- Evidence awareness and relevance of your work in relation to professional standards in photographic practice through high-quality post-production skills, sector awareness and self-promotion through marketing, social media and portfolio development.
Our course aims to encourage you to push the boundaries of your practice with the development of innovative and imaginative concepts and ideas relevant to a range of situations. We will introduce you to a variety of platforms and contexts within which photographic practices sit, enabling you to experiment, expand, progress and communicate your ideas through different forms and processes.
Photography creates a space in which you can innovate or reflect the worid around you. It is central to all forms of contemporary visual communication in life, business and industry. Consequently, the opportunities are endless. A visually literate, innovative ‘creative producer’ has the edge and potential to lead in whatever area they choose; in freelance/consultancy, corporate, national and global contexts.
The expectation is that you will be seeking to enter the cultural and creative global industries into roles such as freelance photographers, creative directors, editors, post production specialists, fashion photographers, art directors, documentary, landscape, still life or product photographers, or editors. You may also be seeking to develop proposals for further postgraduate research and doctoral study or the education sector.
After studying within the subject area of Art and Design, graduates have gone on to be successful in the following areas: Studio assistants and Post production artists – Laura Burgess, Josh Wilde; Editorial Freelance Photographers – Tom Duffield, Alex Beldea. Fashion Editorial: Silvana Trevalé, Nicole Jopek. Travel Photography: Jake Hateley. A number of graduates are currently exhibiting photographic work nationally and internationally.
- Research Methods and Project Proposal
- Creative Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Creative Studio
- Professional Platforms Art and Communication
- Photography Major Project
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media View 374 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Huddersfield and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
Entry requirements for this course are normally:
- An Honours degree (2:2 or above) in a relevant subject or an equivalent professional qualification.
- Alternative qualifications and/or significant experience may be accepted, subject to approval.
- International students with qualifications in 'creative' or 'practice' subjects should submit a digital portfolio (pdf) of work with their application.
- All suitably qualified applicants are normally invited in for an informal chat with a portfolio or considered for admittance under alternative arrangements, such as a skype chat.
International16000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National7900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7900 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Huddersfield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.