The program’s strong practical focus includes funded research travel, editing the CMA Journal, arts internships, funding and support for curating, holding the graduating symposium, and intensive professional preparation for publishing, public presentation, job and grant applications, and reaching varied audiences. Most of our graduates work as curators, programmers, arts administrators, arts writers, and practicing artists. Some go on to do PhDs in the fine and performing arts.
FeaturesWith its intimate scale, interdisciplinary design, and faculty of international reputation, the School for the Contemporary Arts at Simon Fraser University provides a rich environment for scholars of the fine and performing arts. Working in parallel with students in the MFA program, MA scholars are immersed in an environment of creative experimentation.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Methods in Contemporary Arts
- Research Colloquium in Contemporary Arts
- Extended Essay in Contemporary Arts
- New approaches in visual art and culture
- New approaches in moving-image studies
- New approaches in digital art studies
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History Liberal Arts View 69 other Masters in Visual Arts in Canada
- a bachelor’s degree from SFU or its equivalent from a recognized institution
- a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.33 scale, or 3.33 on a 4.33 scale (B+) based on the last 60 credits of undergraduate courses. All graduate work is also considered.
- submitted evidence, usually references from qualified referees, of the applicant’s ability to undertake advanced studies in the area of interest.
- proof of English Language proficiency
- In exceptional circumstances, a student may be admitted with lower formal qualifications when there is significant experience relevant to the proposed area of scholarship.
International3892 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1946 CAD per semester during 24 months.
National3892 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1946 CAD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Burnaby
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.