This taught Master’s Digital and Social Media course at University of Huddersfield , made up of four modules and a 12,000-word dissertation (split into two modules for PT students, with each module producing 6,000 words of work), responds to major transnational developments in contemporary media which have eroded the line between ‘producers’ and ‘consumers’, democratising media or leading to a lo-fi “cult of the amateur.” At the same time, social media platforms have become major economic players, raising questions over who benefits, and how, from the social activity they host.
The course is targeted at those who wish to develop their understanding of specific kinds of digital media – involving people “formerly known as the audience” – and their social, economic and cultural contexts. It is designed to lead into PhD work for those wishing to progress to further Higher Education, as well as leading to a range of professional roles linked to participatory culture and social media.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theorizing Participatory Culture & Social Media
- Researching Participatory Culture and Social Media
- Participatory Culture, Productivity and Fandom
- Social Media, Politics and Activism
- Participatory Culture and Social Media Dissertation
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media Digital Communication View 362 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Students’ first degrees will usually be expected to be in areas/subjects that are cognate or related to Media/Cultural Studies/Communication (this will include a diverse range of humanities-based and social science degrees), though applicants’ individual circumstances will be considered on merit.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National6900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6900 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part-time National: Band 1 - £575 per 15 credit module
Living costs for Huddersfield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.