Developments in technology are central to all aspects of international conflict and you will need a multidisciplinary understanding of these developments to fully comprehend their policy implications. Through this Science and International Security MA course at King's College London you will gain a deep understanding of topics such as nuclear proliferation, chemical and biological weapons, missile technology arms control verification, cyber and space security.
- We have designed this unique programme to develop your ability to understand and analyse the security implications of scientific and technological developments, utilising knowledge and tools of analysis from the hard sciences, political science, history, international relations, security studies, philosophy and sociology.
- Our Centre for Science and Security Studies, based in the Department of War Studies, provides a vibrant home for our MA programme. It has a growing team of PhD students and researchers, and sponsors its own speaker series.
- You are encouraged to apply for internships (on our research projects and/or with other relevant institutions in London such as the Verification Research, Training and Information Centre (VERTIC) and the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS).
- You will have access to visiting academics, serving officers, government ministers and other experts who give regular public lectures and seminars.
- The Department of War Studies is unique in the UK and one of the very few university departments in the world devoted exclusively to the study of war as a human phenomenon.
- Our Department has an excellent reputation as a graduate-training institution and is recognised as such by the British Academy, the Arts and Humanities Research Council and the Economic and Social Research Council.
- Taught by leading experts who bring an extensive and continually growing network of links with other departments, think-tanks, organisations, policymaking bodies and institutions.
War Studies graduates go on to work for NGOs, the FCO, the MOD, the Home Office, NATO, the UN or pursue careers in journalism, finance, academia, the diplomatic services, the armed forces and more. Recent posts held by our alumni include Threat Analyst, Director of Political Violence Forecasting, Research Advisor at NATO Defence College, Foreign Policy Fellow.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Science & Security of Nuclear, Chemical and Biological Weapons
- Current Issues in Science & Security
- Armchair Intelligence – Open Sources & Online Investigation
- Hacking for Defence
- Proliferation & International Security
- Contemporary Conflicts
- Cybersecurity Comparative Policy and Strategy
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMilitary Science International Relations Terrorism & Security View 524 other Masters in International Relations in United Kingdom
- Undergraduate degree with high 2:1 honours (i.e. overall average of at least 65% across all years of study) in history, international relations, political science, economics or other appropriate subject.
- A personal statement is required. (maximum 4,000 characters)
- A copy (or copies) of your official academic transcript(s), showing the subjects studied and marks obtained.
- One academic reference is required. A professional reference will be accepted if you have completed your qualifications over five years ago. In some cases, we may request an additional reference from you.
- Applicants may wish to include a CV (Resume) or evidence of professional registration as part of their application.
International27900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27900 GBP per year during 12 months.
National15420 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15420 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.