If you want an international career working for sporting governing bodies, or delivering events such as the Olympics, Wimbledon, Premier League football, the Indian Premier League, or other elite or mass participation global sporting events, then taking our Master's qualification in sport management will give you the valuable expertise and skills needed to lead, plan and deliver results in the growing sport management industry.
Once you graduate this Sport Management programme from the University of Portsmouth , you'll have the transferable tools and skills needed for an international career in sport management, HR and event management.
- Develop the skills in people management and leadership needed for a successful international career in elite global sport
- Study the worldwide sports business industry, and the principles, practice and governance in management
- Learn from our research with internationally recognised sports organisations such as UEFA, the Rugby Football League (RFL) and the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB)
- Take part in a field trips such as our visit to Madrid to experience professional sport management at organisations including Real Madrid Football Club – visits like this are part of the course cost, but vary from year-to-year
- Enjoy access to our outstanding new Ravelin Sports Centre, designed to be one of the UK’s most sustainable sports facilities
- Learn from lecturers who have delivered sport management programmes internationally and who are driven by current practices
- Share your sporting skills with the local community through our coaching and volunteering scheme
Careers and opportunities
This course specifically offers potential for career advancement within the growing sport management sector. It builds on the topics that sport management students will have covered at undergraduate level and introduces overarching themes such as funding, policy and strategy.
Key modules in professional development, strategic leadership and governance have been designed to enhance student's transferable skills enabling some of our graduates to work in senior roles in areas such as human resources and event management.
Graduates of this course have gone onto roles such as:
- General deputy director
- Operations manager
- Community sports manager
- Head of PR and communications
- Marketing manager
- Chief executive
- Fitness instructor
- Industrial placement coordinator
- Marketing assistant
- Sport lecturer
Graduates of this course have gone on to work for companies such as:
- Rugby Football Union
- Ironman Group
- West Ham United Football Club
- Newcastle United Football Club
- Reading Football Club
- Portsmouth Football Club
- Fulham Football Club
- Norwich Football Club
- Hampshire County Cricket
- Lawn Tennis Association
- Olympic Athletic Centre of Athens
- The Soccer Conclave
- Rugby League World Cup
- Executives in Sport Group
- Hong Kong Darts Federation
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Global Sport Event Management - 30 credits
MSc Research Development and Practice - 60 credits
Principles Practice and Governance in Sports Management - 30 credits
Professional Development in Sport Management - 30 credits
Strategic Leadership in Sport - 30 credits
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesSports Management Sports Sciences View 368 other Masters in Sports Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Portsmouth and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A second-class honours degree in a Sport, Business or Management subject. Applicants who hold a non-related degree will be considered on a case-by-case basis. For those who do not hold a degree or relevant professional qualification, extensive experience together with evidence of scholarly ability will be required.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.