Are you a mathematical problem solver with a related undergraduate degree? Are you interested in applying maths, statistics and computer science to solve complex problems in industry? Then this MSc in Mathematics with Data Science for Industry including placement year from University of Bath.
What you'll study
You’ll work on group projects with other students and have the opportunity to work on a project with one of our industrial partners, as well as study a range of taught units in applied maths techniques, mathematical modelling, data science, machine learning and scientific communication. Research specialisms could include industrial applied maths, statistics, machine learning, probability, differential equations, dynamical systems, asymptotics, numerical analysis, optimisation, imaging, modelling of waves and fluids, mathematical biology.
A highlight of the course is the opportunity to work on a real project with one of our industry partners. You'll learn the ins and outs of the problem solving process including: identifying the problem and translating it into mathematical language; processing and analysing relevant data; solving the mathematical problem; communicating the results to the client. This may include spending several weeks working in the company. Examples of companies you could work with include The Met Office, Barclays, Emerson Roxar and Raytheon.
Mathematics and data are fundamental to modern science and many industries are looking for graduates who can work across these fields. By gaining skills and knowledge in these areas, a wide range of career pathways will be open to you when you graduate. You will also have acquired the essential foundation for further postgraduate study and research within related fields.
- Mathematical modelling for industry
- Principles of industrial collaboration and problem solving
- Machine learning 1
- Industrial applications of mathematics
- Collaborative industrial research
- Statistical modelling
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesMathematics Statistics Machine Learning View 228 other Masters in Mathematics in United Kingdom
- You should have a first or strong second-class bachelor’s honours degree or international equivalent.
- To apply for this course, you should have an undergraduate degree in mathematics, physics or engineering.
- We will also consider those with an undergraduate degree in other disciplines provided there is a substantial mathematical component.
- We may make an offer based on a lower grade if you can provide evidence of your suitability for the degree.
- We welcome applications from graduates from all countries so if you can’t see your country in the list, please contact our admissions team for advice about your specific entry requirements.
International25000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25000 GBP per year during 24 months.
National11000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11000 GBP per year during 24 months.
Home placement fee: £3,055
Overseas placement fee: £6,945
Living costs for Bath
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.