- a critical understanding of research-based sustainability literature across a range of disciplines
- comprehension of the relationships between theory and practice in the field of sustainability
- thorough and in-depth understanding of key debates relating to environmental challenges, energy resource use and security, and the resilience and adaptability of human systems
- detailed and comprehensive understanding of current issues across disciplines within the theme of sustainability studies
The course aims to prepare you for a career as a professional researcher in either an academic or non-academic environment by developing your core research skills. You will be encouraged to review and critically evaluate approaches to research and their application, and to identify and investigate your own original research questions.
South West Doctoral Training Partnership
This MRes is recognised by the Economic & Social Research Council (ESRC), specifically, as part of the larger South West Doctoral Training Partnership (SWDTP). It can be taken as a course in its own right or if you hold an SWDTP studentship you can take the 1+3 (MRes + PhD) pathway.
This course is delivered through the University of Bath alongside our partner institutions:
- University of Exeter
- University of Bristol
- University of the West of England
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced interdisciplinary research design (collaboratively delivered unit)
- Contemporary debates in sustainability (collaboratively delivered unit)
- Research apprenticeship project (MRes)
- Qualitative methods
- Environmental and resource economics
- Principles of corporate social responsibility
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesSustainable Development Environmental Economics & Policy View 274 other Masters in Sustainable Development in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
You should have a bachelor’s honours degree or international equivalent, typically a 2:1 or above.
- To apply for this course you should have an undergraduate degree in an appropriate social sciences subject such as psychology, sociology, geography, policy studies or socio-legal studies.
- We may make an offer based on a lower grade if you can provide evidence of your suitability for the degree.
- If your first language is not English but within the last 2 years you completed your degree in the UK you may be exempt from our English language requirements.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International20400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20400 GBP per year during 12 months.
National4600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4600 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Bath
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.