This MSc in International Development with Economics from University of Bath addresses the contemporary challenges of global development, utilising core economic concepts, theories and methods.
Rooted in real-world practical and policy challenges, the course is founded on Bath’s longstanding engagement in international development and applied economic analysis. It uses innovative learning approaches to promote in-depth investigation of cases and issues, drawing links across global, regional, national and local scales. We offer you the opportunity of a placement-based research project, providing hands-on experience to complement campus-based learning.
The course is ideal if you’re a recent graduate who wants to pursue a career in international development as an economic analyst. It is also suitable if you’re an established professional wishing to deepen your knowledge and critical understanding of international development from an economics and broader social science perspective.Graduate prospects
Our courses provide an excellent grounding for careers in international development, humanitarian action and working for social, economic and environmental justice in both global North and global South. They provide the core skills required in a range of policy, communication, advocacy, research and programmatic roles.
Graduates from similar courses have found jobs with organisations such as:
- Economic Development Team Leader for the UK Department for International Development Palestinian programme in Jerusalem
- Outreach Channel Director at Marie Stopes International
- Humanitarian Policy Manager at Plan International
- Microfinance Partnerships Manager at One Acre Fund
- Regional Projects Manager at International Alert
- Private Sector Development Adviser at the UK’s Department for International Development
- Power Sector Policy Adviser at the UK’s Department for International Development
- Chair of the South West International Development Network and Executive Director of the Development Studies Association
Other graduates have chosen to work for themselves and set up their own charities, while some have stayed in academia to complete doctoral studies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- History and theory of international development
- Doing research for international development
- Economics for international development
- Global political economy
- The politics and practice of sustainability and wellbeing
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEconomics International Development Sustainable Development View 540 other Masters in Economics in United Kingdom
- You will generally have a social sciences degree, although we also encourage students from other disciplines to apply. The course suits those who are new to international development, and people already working in the field, who wish to gain a higher qualification or take time out to reflect on their experience.
- You should have a bachelor’s honours degree or international equivalent, typically a 2:1 or above.
- To apply for this course you should have an undergraduate degree in an appropriate subject such as politics, economics, anthropology, international relations, African, Latin American or South East Asian Studies or environmental studies.
- We will also consider graduates with an undergraduate degree in other subjects where you have relevant professional experience in international development.
International10750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10750 GBP per year during 24 months.
National5000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5000 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Bath
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.