Sustainable Food Systems are essential to ensure that all people across the world have access to safe, nutritious and affordable food. There are many current challenges to ensuring this food security and hundreds of millions of people experience malnutrition and the health issues associated with insufficient food. These challenges will intensify over coming years in the face of global population growth, climate change and increased demands on land, water and energy. Intensification of agriculture to meet these challenges must be achieved in a way that is sustainable, preserves biodiversity and does not damage the environment. In contrast, we are experiencing, at the same time, a different global health crisis arising from over-consumption of food, but often also malnourished, with rising levels of obesity and associated increases in ill health and death.
This Sustainable Food Systems MSc course offered at University of Liverpool is designed to introduce you to the concepts of sustainable food systems, the interdisciplinary approaches required to both understand and design future food systems, and to develop state-of-the-art scientific understanding of disciplines underpinning food systems. The programme will also introduce you to the practical aspects of food systems that must be understood to effect change - policy development, inter- and intra-national regulation, and an understanding of the global and intersectoral nature of food systems working in the real world. You will “walk the food chain” enabling you experience the processes and issues that are involved in the “farm to fork” journey.
This new MSc in Sustainable Food Systems is designed to equip the next generation with the critical thinking skills, resourcefulness, a systems mindset, and the international perspective needed to solve global food systems issues. These transferable skills are highly valuable in many fields or industries, including (among others) agriculture, operations and supply chain management, charities, policy-making organisations, academia, regulatory bodies, government agencies and NGO’s, food processing and manufacturing companies, journalism, public health.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Methods and Applications in Biological Sciences
- Professional, Employability and Research Skills for Advanced Biological Sciences
- Sustainable Food Systems
- Advanced Statistics for Biological Research
- Statistics for Biological Research
- Analysing Climate Processes and Variablity
- Monitoring Urban Air Pollution
- Supply Chain Operations Management
- Informatics for Life Sciences
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- There are no strict application deadlines but applicants are encouraged to apply in good time, particularly if you require visas or have special requirements.
DisciplinesSustainable Development Supply Chain Management & Logistics Food Sciences View 258 other Masters in Sustainable Development in United Kingdom
- Normally, at least a 2.1 Honours degree in subjects that include life; health-, physical-, social- sciences, business or law, acceptable to both the Director of the Programme and the proposed project supervisor. We would also welcome applications from students with degrees in veterinary sciences or medicine. We will consider applicants with a 2.2 degree, for example if they have suitable postgraduate experience or work experience.
- Applications from international students are especially encouraged. International qualifications will be evaluated in line using the National Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) guidelines.
International22000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10250 GBP per year during 12 months.
- EU: £22,000
Living costs for Liverpool
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.