Interpreting and Translating (Italian and Spanish) from University of Bath is designed to give you the practical skills and experience you need to work as an interpreter and translator at a high level.
You must have an excellent understanding of two languages. You can choose from one of two pathways:
- Path 1 allows you to work with two other languages (Chinese, French, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish) into English
- Path 2 allows you to work in both directions between Chinese/English or Russian/English
What you'll study
The course covers professional translation and simultaneous, consecutive and liaison interpreting in public service and commercial settings.
You'll have access to the latest digital interpreting labs, and will participate in mini-conferences to put your skills into practice, holding debates on controversial topics and acting as both delegate and interpreter.
We seek to arrange external training opportunities (which could be remote or in person) for our students with the United Nations or independent agencies, giving you first-hand experience of the workplace and valuable contacts for building your career.
The course is taught by experienced tutors who have all worked as professional translators and interpreters themselves. Some have interpreted for heads of state and government ministers, and/or work for international organisations. They are therefore able to share this wealth of experience with you and provide useful advice on joining the profession.
The MA Interpreting and Translating is a highly vocational course with a strong reputation. Some of our graduates have found rewarding jobs in smaller companies and institutions or chosen to work as freelancers, while many have pursued stimulating careers as professional translators and interpreters.
Our graduates have gone on to work for the following organisations:
- European Commission
- Foreign Office
- Gazprom Germania Gmbh
- International Atomic Energy Agency
- International Court of Justice
- International Telecommunication Union
- International Union of Railways (Paris)
- Ministry of Defence
- United Nations in Geneva, Vienna, Nairobi and New York
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Italian to English consecutive interpreting
- Spanish to English consecutive interpreting
- Italian to English simultaneous interpreting
- Spanish to English simultaneous interpreting
- Italian/English public service and commercial interpreting
- Spanish/English public service and commercial interpreting
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Translation & Interpreting View 550 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
You should have a bachelor’s honours degree or international equivalent, typically a 2:1 or above.
- To apply for the European Stream you will need mother tongue competence in English and degree-level competence in two foreign languages (French, German, Italian, Spanish or Russian).
- We may make an offer based on a lower grade if you can provide evidence of your suitability for the degree.
- If your first language is not English but within the last 2 years you completed your degree in an English speaking country you may be exempt from our English language requirements.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International24600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24600 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11200 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Bath
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.