If you're interested in working as a professional linguist, working with the written word to provide translations and specialised language services, Translation and Professional Language Skills (French and Spanish) from University of Bath is an excellent option.
With a growing demand for highly trained speakers of English in the UK and abroad, this specialist master's will equip you to set up your own freelance business or work in-house for an international organisation or language service provider.
What you'll study
Unlike other courses of its kind, ours covers a wide variety of skills including editing, revision, précis-writing and proofreading. Employers and agencies have told us they’re looking for these services, so having the right skills will place you in a strong position for securing work. You'll have the opportunity to gain skills in public service and commercial interpreting, and you will learn about setting up your own translation business.
In some cases, we can arrange external translation training. This may be in an international organisation, such as the EU and UN, or an independent translation agency, and will give you first-hand experience of the workplace and valuable contacts for building your career.
The course is taught by qualified tutors. While some have worked for international organisations, others have developed their careers as freelance linguists. All bring extensive experience to the classroom to give students invaluable advice.
We have an excellent reputation for training professional translators, editors and précis-writers. This course draws on that expertise and extends into new and specialised areas of language work where there is a great demand for highly trained linguists with English as their first or 'A' language.
Our graduates have gone on to work for the following organisations:
- Etymax Translation Bureau, London
- European Central Bank
- European Commission
- International Atomic Energy Agency
- International Committee of the Red Cross
- International Court of Justice
- International Maritime Organization
- International Telecommunications Union
- International Union of Railways (UIC)
- Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons
- United Nations in Geneva, Vienna and New York
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Editing and revision
- French to English translation
- Spanish to English translation
- Understanding the commercial translation industry
- Public speaking
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Translation & Interpreting View 458 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
You should have a bachelor’s honours degree or international equivalent, typically a 2:1 or above.
- To apply for this course you should have mother tongue competence in English.
- We may make an offer based on a lower grade if you can provide evidence of your suitability for the degree.
- If your first language is not English but within the last 2 years you completed your degree in an English speaking country you may be exempt from our English language requirements.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International23000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10700 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Bath
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.