In a Nutshell
- Get immersed in the busy, friendly and relaxed urban environment of Greater Manchester – the northern capital of rock, music, top-rated football and a great centre of learning and culture.
- Study at our state-of-the-art MediaCityUK campus, which is the media hub of the north, home to the BBC and ITV northern headquarters.
- Be mentored by our well-connected and experienced broadcast and digital journalism practitioners who have worked with the BBC, ITV and other international and national media brands.
- Learn everything from the foundations and challenges of international journalism practice, specialist areas of international journalism to the technology, software and platforms used by digital journalists.
- Experience a real-life environment of digital newsrooms, use our state-of-the-art TV and radio studios and explore specialisms such as foreign affairs, health and science reporting, business and finance writing or data journalism.
- Network with industry through our special events and live brief journalism projects.
- Once graduated, have a MA diploma, the option to gain a NCTJ accreditation and an industry-grade professional portfolio of work that can be used for PhD or potential employer applications.
Applicants from different walks of life join our course: you don’t have to be a journalism or media course graduate. Just show your engagement with news, experience in journalism or passion for reporting and we will be delighted to offer you a place once you have met all other criteria such as English language proficiency as set for your course.
Graduates of our digital journalism masters can enter careers in various forms of journalism, including print, broadcast or online. You could work in reporting or management roles, public relations, research, or media analysis, both in this country or abroad. As a journalist, you could work as a UK-based foreign correspondent travelling abroad or full-time in overseas postings.
As well as that, during your time studying, you’ll build a portfolio of work that can be shared with potential employers, as well as develop a number of highly sought-after transferrable skills. Employers are always interested in candidates with strong research, development and delivery skills, as well as the ability to present ideas to a professional standard, all of which you will have used during your studies.
We’ve seen graduates from this course go on to do incredible things in their careers, including one graduate who is a TV anchor on a national TV channel in Indonesia, and another who runs a high-profile news website on the polar regions and Arctic marine life, regularly travelling on icebreakers with North Pole and Antarctic expeditions.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Global Perspectives on Journalism
- Digital Journalism
- Journalism Practice in a Multimedia Newsroom
- Specialist Journalism Practice
- Community Project
- Sports Journalism
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- You should submit your application at least one month before your course starts.
DisciplinesJournalism Media Studies & Mass Media Public Relations View 59 other Masters in Public Relations in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- You'll need a good honours degree (2:1 or above).
- International applicants will be required to show a proficiency in English. An IELTS score of 7.0, with a written element of 8.0 and no element below 6.0, is proof of this.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15030 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15030 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8100 GBP per year during 12 months.
- £1,350 per 30 credits for home
Living costs for Salford
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.