The MSc in Medicinal Chemistry at Aarhus University is a specialised chemistry degree with a focus on the interaction between chemistry and health sciences. The programme is taught in English, and you work, among other things, with the design of new potential drug substances and the synthesis of chemical compounds. For example, you have good opportunities to specialise in the influence of modern computer chemistry methods in the design of drugs; synthesis and analysis of potential new drugs; structure, activity and pharmacological properties of membrane proteins; the microscopic structure of bones and other bioorganic materials; and modelling of proteins and their interaction with drugs, drug delivery and chemical biology.
Medicinal chemistry graduates work across a wide range of fields and institutions. Most jobs, however, are within research, development and consultancy in both public and private sectors, particularly in pharmaceutical and biotech companies. The health services also employ many medicinal chemistry graduates, where for example they may be involved in developing new clinical and chemical diagnostic methods in hospitals. The skills acquired in the programme are also in great demand in the food
- The Master’s degree in Medicinal Chemistry counts as 120 ECTS credits and mainly consists of subjects within the chemistry and medicinal chemistry fields of study. You specialise by participating in course activities and projects and by writing a thesis. This thesis, completed during the final year of the programme, carries considerable weight.
- It is also possible to do projects with private companies or public institutions.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
February (only applicants with a Danish Bachelor's degree)
DisciplinesChemistry Human Medicine Pharmacy View 5 other Masters in Pharmacy in Denmark
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The following Bachelor’s degrees qualify students for admission to the Master’s degree programme in Medicinal Chemistry:
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Medicinal Chemistry from Aarhus University, the University of Southern Denmark or the University of Copenhagen.
- The following other degrees can provide admission to the Master’s degree programme in Medicinal
- A Bachelor of Science degree amounting to at least 60 ECTS credits in Medicinal Chemistry as well as basic courses in Mathematics, physics and statistics can qualify the student for admission.
- Other qualifications can provide admission to the Master’s degree programme, provided the university assesses that their level, extent and content correspond to the degrees mentioned above.
International14800 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14800 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Aarhus
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Aarhus University offers a limited number of scholarships to very talented students outside of Europe. To learn more about the options, please visit: kandidat.au.dk/en/admission/scholarships-and-grants/
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.