With this Health Humanities program at Tilburg University you'll study how developments and opinions regarding health, medicine and healthcare are reflected in cultural practices in society. And learn how cultural norms, diversity, technological developments and the online world shape these developments and opinions.
- Critically evaluate various types of knowledge production in contemporary health and medicine using various types of research and methodologies.
- Develop the ability to think critically about past and present events and experiences in relation to medicine.
- Relate concepts of health and medical sciences and practices to questions of public debate and concern.
- Connect theory with practice through an internship (optional) and by attending guest lectures from professionals.
- Learn how to write scientific articles based on academic content which will be published in Diggit Magazine an online news platform about digital culture, globalization, and arts.
This is a track of MA Culture Studies. You specialize by following one of its tracks.
Upon graduation you will have gained knowledge and skills to analyze topical issues related to health and medicine, and to contribute to improving healthcare. Your career prospects partly depend on the knowledge and skills you have developed during your Bachelor’s and/or in practice.
Specific professions that will benefit from a training in Health Humanities include:
- Research in Health and Medicine
- Health (and science) journalism
- Health promotion and communication
- Health policymaking
- Health administration
- Health (and science) councils
- Ethical boards
- Healthcare consultancy
- Healthcare management
- Educational institutes and creative professions
- Medical complaint committees
- Emerging professions, such as counselors who support both patients and professionals dealing with their sense of purpose and/or normative / ethical issues
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Cultural practices of knowledge production in health and medicine
- Online Health Practices
- The Normal and the Abnormal
- Diversity and Equity in Health and Medicine
- Digital Ethnography
- Ethnography and Interview
- Anthropology and Fieldwork
- Survey Design
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Anthropology Public Health View 20 other Masters in Anthropology in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You are eligible to apply if you have a Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline, such as Culture Studies, Philosophy, Literature, Religious Studies, Science and Technology Studies, Anthropology, Medicine, History, etc., or a BA in Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- Our Admissions Committee will assess every application and evaluate whether or not your previous education matches three years of Dutch academic education. Our Admissions Committee evaluates the modules you have completed previously and whether these match the profile for the program. Depending on your academic deficiencies or degree, you might be required to follow and complete a pre-Master’s program.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14900 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14900 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA2205 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2205 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Tilburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.