This Online MA in Social Policy from the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) aims to explore contemporary problems of our world from cultural, demographic, economic, governmental, and technological perspectives.
During these 2 years, you'll benefit from webinars, forums, and learning activities which will offer you the flexibility to continue to focus your attention on your career and family. You'll also have access to study materials, so you'll be able to learn in your own time.
Why study with us?
- Receive guidance from UCLan's academic experts. Take part in regular discussions, receive feedback and assessments
- Participate to live webinars. You can access them again anytime.
- Tutors can help you with your independent learning needs
- Moduled explore contemporary problems that will provide you the necessary tools to be successful in this field
University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) has created this programme aiming to bring on the labour market graduates with a higher-level critical thinking, awareness and theoretical knowledge in the study of poverty and social inequality as social phenomena.
Upon completing the MA in Social Policy, you’ll be able to:
- Be aware of the challenges and obstacles involves in a social policy research
- Analyse social policy issues using appropriate materials
- Make use of the specific skills developed in the process of critical analysis of social policy issues
- Develop your own social policy research projects
How you're assessed
This programme involves a sum of formative and summative assessments, but no exams.
For the formative assessments, the tutors have to offer you feedback on the presentations and projects. The summative assessments involve essays and coursework. The dissertation is also considered a summative assessment.
After studying this Social Policy MA, you'll have the necessary skills to build a career in social welfare and public service. You can expect to be an eligible candidate for managerial roles because during these 2 years you'll gain skills like self-direction and time management.
Here are some examples of roles open to you after graduation:
- Charity officer
- Civil service administrator
- Health service manager
- Policy officer
- Social researcher
Also, you could find exciting occupations like:
- Business, research and administrative professions
- Welfare and housing associated professions
- Caring and personal service occupations
- Protective services
Maybe you wish to be a professional and find yourself a role in the industry or, maybe you'd like to continue your academic career. This degree opens up your way to a PhD which may be the beginning of your academic and research career.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Making of Social Policy
- Poverty and Inequality: Conceptualisation, Investigation and Policy Making in Historical and Contemporary Societies
- Comparing Welfare States
- Introduction to Social Research
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Area & Cultural Studies Sociology View 36 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- You must hold at least a 2:2 degree in Social Policy or a related discipline such as Economics, Health Studies, History, Politics, or Sociology.
- We’ll also consider your application if you have an honours degree classification of 2:2 or above in other disciplines.
- If you don’t have a professional qualification in social care, or you don’t have a first degree, we’ll ask you to demonstrate your suitability for postgraduate study by submitting an essay of 2000 to 2500 words on a relevant topic.
- We may ask you to attend an online, 45-minute interview to discuss your background and interest in the course.
- You can also explore using our accreditation of prior learning (APL) to claim credits that you can put towards your degree, based on the experience you currently hold.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10900 GBP for the full programme during 24 months.
National5450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10900 GBP for the full programme during 24 months.
paid in two instalments
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.