Gain a comprehensive and critical understanding of the theory and techniques of cyber security and how to apply them to real-world situations with this part-time, fully online Cyber Security MSc from the University of Liverpool.
This specialist degree will build your ability to research, design, implement and deploy creative cyber security solutions. Graduates will be equipped with all the tools needed to take up a rewarding career in this fast-growing sector which is currently suffering from a significant skills shortage.
Is this the right course for you?
This programme will give you a comprehensive understanding of the theoretical underpinning that supports the domain of cyber security. You will develop a critical understanding of the challenges in assessing and managing security risks within the modern workplace and gain familiarity with the tools and techniques that may be deployed to prevent and limit cyber-crime. You will also be equipped with an in-depth understanding of the processes available to investigate suspected cyber-attacks.
Through this programme, you will:
- Develop the theoretical underpinning needed to specialise in the critical domain of cyber security. You will gain the ability to manage security risks within the modern workplace and an understanding of the tools and techniques needed to prevent or limit cyber-crime.
- Apply your practical skills to one of the biggest challenges in modern society. Throughout the programme, you will create a professional development plan and build an e-portfolio to exhibit your understanding of the domain of cyber security and its practical application.
- Learn from leading experts in a culture of research excellence. Our passionate lecturers are highly regarded within the field for the topic they teach, from security engineering to cyber forensics. Our research-led ethos encourages students to participate in an innovative and stimulating environment.
- Access our online development environment to practice and refine your new skills. Throughout your programme, you will be exposed to state-of-the-art technologies and have access to industry-standard solutions, available to you as cloud services, open-source software, or commercials technology; all included within your tuition fee.
Learn from industry experts
This programme is delivered by the Department of Computer Science, who are known worldwide for their excellence in artificial intelligence research and have been at the forefront of key developments in computer science since 1983. The 2014 Research Excellence Framework rated 97% of the department’s research as being world-leading or internationally excellent, the highest proportion of any Computer Science department in the UK.
Enhance your career opportunities
As the level of internet-facilitated working has grown and continues to grow, robust cyber security measures are increasingly necessary for businesses of all sizes and from all sectors. Through this programme, you will develop skills with an immediate practical application in the workplace. It will provide a solid foundation for your further career development towards senior technical and managerial positions in the field of cyber security.
Learn online anytime, anywhere
Get the University of Liverpool experience wherever you are in the world. This 100% online course features interactive classes and regular contact with staff and fellow students across the globe. Teaching is delivered through our state-of-the-art Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), which provides students with access to all resources required for interactive study online. On this platform, you will be encouraged to work collaboratively with classmates and actively read around your topic through our comprehensive library of eBooks and journals.
Assessments are exclusively through online assignments rather than examinations. You will be assessed through a range of activities, including written assignments, discussion forum participation and journal entries.
Love what you've read so far?
Visit our website for more information on this programme or contact one of our admission advisers to get your questions answered.
One of the best ways to see if the programme is right for you is to join one of our regular virtual events where you will be introduced to our range of online programmes, our online learning facilities, and Q&A’s with staff to help you make the best decision about the future of your education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Global Trends in Computer Science
- Security Engineering and Compliance
- Applied Cryptography
- Cyber Crime Prevention and Protection
- Cyber Forensics
- Security Risk Management
- Research Methods in Computer Science
- Computer Science Capstone Project
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 28 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesComputer Sciences Web Technologies & Cloud Computing Cyber Security View 104 other Masters in Computer Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Applicants should possess either:
- A degree in computer science or a closely related subject, equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree, coupled with two years’ relevant IT professional experience; or
- Professional work experience in IT or a related field and/or other prior qualifications, which will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International6557 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15300 GBP for the full programme during 28 months.
EU/EEA6557 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15300 GBP for the full programme during 28 months.
- The tuition fee is fully inclusive of all costs: teaching materials, core textbooks, assessments and resits.
Regional Scholarships of up to 15% are available for international students based overseas in eligible countries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.