Who is it for?
- If you have strong technical ability and an interest in solving business problems, becoming an actuary is one of the most rewarding career choices you can make. Changes in the world bring new risks, which mean new challenges for actuaries.
- It will offer you a firm grounding in the fundamentals of Actuarial Science in insurance, finance and investment, business analytical methods, machine learning, data management systems and natural language processing. You will undertake a detailed study of the mathematical and statistical techniques for measuring the probability and risk of future events and their financial impact on a business and/or their clients.
Career destinations for MSc Actuarial Science
- Our graduates from the MSc in Actuarial Science at the City, University of London are well prepared to tackle actuarial and risk analyst, consultancy and underwriting roles in leading firms. An actuarial career is a global professional passport in a role which is as challenging as it is rewarding.
- An increasing number of companies are now looking for actuarial students who have knowledge of business analytics. This is due to the changing nature of actuarial roles with more technology and analytics brought into actuarial processes across most of the industry sectors mentioned above. The MSc Actuarial Science with Business Analytics route will enable students to gain a strong understanding of both the actuarial principles and the associated analytics.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
On the MSc Actuarial Science course, you will:
- Summarise and critically assess fundamental concepts in statistics, economics, finance, investment and business.
- Recognise and apply actuarial theory used in investment, insurance and probability modelling.
- Evaluate research papers and professional texts to produce an independent synthesis of knowledge and ideas.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of actuarial and statistical methods to solve problems in insurance, investment and analytics problems.
- Evaluate and apply alternative approaches in the analysis of financial reports.
- Develop and communicate effectively reasoned arguments on current issues relating to actuarial theory and practice.
- Use software as an effective tool for data analysis and financial modelling.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Actuarial Science View 227 other Masters in Mathematics in United Kingdom
- A UK upper second class degree or above, or the equivalent from an overseas institution, in a highly quantitative programme such as mathematics or statistics is required to enter this course
- Work experience is not a requirement of this course.
- If you have been studying in the UK for the last three years it is unlikely that you will have to take the IELTS test
International22000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National22000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22000 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK/EU/International £22,000
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.