Geography is all about studying people, space and place - and Amsterdam is the perfect place to do that. First of all the city of Amsterdam itself is the perfect location and junction to study, explore, experience geography. Secondly, the University of Amsterdam, a major research university, offers the Human Geography programme, taught by one of the highest ranked geography departments in continental Europe. Last but not least, the Graduate School of Social Sciences (GSSS) of Amsterdam provides a vibrant and international academic community. The GSSS values diversity in both research and academic content, academic staff and student population.
In the Master's programme Human Geography at the University of Amsterdam, students choose one out of four specialisation tracks:
- Economic Geography
- Environmental Geography
- Political Geography
- Urban Geography
- GEO Skills: Research Methods & Techniques
- GEO Skills: The Professional Geographer
- GEO Focus: Fieldwork Excursion
- GEO Track: Literature Study
- Advanced Economic and Financial Geography
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Geography Environmental Sciences View 25 other Masters in Geography in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor’s degree in human geography (sociale geografie) or in another closely related discipline (such as sociology, cultural anthropology, political science, economics, bèta gamma and/or future planet studies provided it includes a major in human geography) are invited to apply, provided they meet all other entry requirements
- International degrees are evaluated on the basis of advice from professional diploma evaluators. The minimum level of the degree should be equivalent to three years of Dutch academic education
- A solid basis in the field of human geography studies with (the equivalent of) at least 30 ECTS credits earned during previous studies
- A solid basis in both qualitative and quantitative social sciences research methodology as demonstrated by the completion of (the equivalent of) at least 20 ECTS during previous study
- English language proficiency
International16060 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16060 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2168 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.