Neurobiology is a relative young field of study on the cutting edge of multiple disciplines such as biology, psychology, philosophy and computer science. The Biomedical Sciences - Neurobiology of the University of Amsterdam is for those students who are fascinated by the functioning of the human brain.
There are four specifically designed tracks. All four of them are organised by UvA research groups specialised in exactly these topics, creating an atmosphere of research based education.
- Molecular Neurosciences
- Physiology of Synapses and Networks
- Psychopharmacology and Pathophysiology
- Cognitive Neurobiology and Clinical Neurophysiology
Studying Neurobiology at the University of Amsterdam
The cluster Neurobiology at the University is part of the Master's programme Biomedical Sciences. Consequently, the brain is approached from a biomedical point of view, from the molecule to the mind. The support of several university institutes such as the Swammerdam Institute of Life Sciences (SILS-CNS) and other neurobiological institutes like the Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience (NIN) and the Amsterdam UMC guarantee excellent courses and internships.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Neurodevelopment/Specification of Neuronal Systems
- Stem Cell Fate and Cortical Genesis
- From Synapse to Network
- Advanced Psychopathology
- Network Models, Representation and Consciousness
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesBiomedicine Neuroscience Bioinformatics & Biostatistics View 27 other Masters in Bioinformatics & Biostatistics in Netherlands
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Amsterdam and/or in Netherlands, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- To be eligible for the Medical Biology tracks of the Master's programme in Biomedical Sciences, you must hold a Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Sciences or Psychobiology or equivalent from a Dutch or foreign university.
- You have an overall grade point average (GPA) equivalent to at least: 3.0 (American system), 2.1 (a second class upper/division one degree in the British system), C (ECTS-system)
- English language proficiency
International16060 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16060 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2168 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.