The Department of Geology, University of Malaya, which offers the Petroleum Geoscience program, is the oldest geology department amongst the Malaysian university. It was founded in Singapore in 1955 and relocated to The Kuala Lumpur Campus in 1960. From its modest beginning with only 4 academic staff and 2 final-year students in 1962, the Department has expanded and evolved into a multidisciplinary department, committed to the development of academic excellence in teaching and research.
About the program
Each year, the Department accepts about 40-60 undergraduates for their 3-year BSc Degree in Geology and Applied Geology course. As an integral part of the undergraduates’ education, the Department carries out fieldwork training in various parts of the country.
The Department is also the hub for the exchange, discussion and dissemination of geological knowledge in the country and the region. It houses the Secretariat of the Geological Society of Malaysia (GSM) and Institute Geology Malaysia (IGM). These bodies actively organize workshops, seminars, conferences and fieldwork to promote geology both locally and internationally.
Based on direct feedback from Petroleum industry employers, the Master of Petroleum Geoscience Programme has been developed to satisfy the needs of:
- Malaysian and foreign students aiming for a successful domestic or international career in petroleum geosciences
- Industry employers seeking to upgrade young staff to Master level
We aim to produce a new generation of world-class, well-trained geoscientists able to confront the technical and practical challenges of the petroleum industry, particularly as reflected in the Malaysian context.
- Structural Geology and Subsurface Mapping
- Reservoir Sedimentology and Sequence Stratigraphy
- Exploration Geophysics
- Petrophysics and Well Log Analysis
- Petroleum Geochemistry
- Seismic Interpretation
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeology General Engineering & Technology Mining, Oil & Gas View 8 other Masters in Geology in Malaysia
- Applicants must have a Bachelor's Degree with Honors CGPA 3.0 and above or equivalent in the relevant field.
- Applicants with a Bachelor's Degree of CGPA 2.7 to 2.99 may be considered if they meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Having relevant work experience; or
- Produce publications in related fields; or
- is a recipient of a scholarship; or
- is a graduate of the University of Malaya; or
- is a government servants
- Applicants with a Bachelor's Degree of CGPA 2.5 to 2.69 may be considered if they meet at least two of the criteria above
International9659 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9659 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
National4796 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4796 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
- Local: RM 21,600
- International: RM 43,500
Living costs for Kuala Lumpur
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.