Overall, oceans and seas contain more biological diversity than terrestrial and freshwater ecosystems. Marine ecosystems play a key role in climate and weather patterns. Indispensable to life itself, the marine environment is also a great contributor to economic prosperity, social well-being and quality of life.
Although the socio-economic relevance of the aforementioned issues may often remain underrated by society, mankind impact on the marine environment is all too frequently demonstrated. Oils spill response (Exxon, Erika, Prestige, Deep Sea Horizon) requires the input of multidisciplinary staff (oceanographers, marine biologists, chemists, geologists, and environmental managers.
Successful completion of this Marine Environment and Resources programme from University of the Basque Country, will prepare the student for a leadership role in various marine sectors such as conservation and environmental management, non-governmental organisations and all levels of government from local to global.
Employers in the public and private sectors require top quality graduates as managers, planners, policy makers, researchers or advisors who can make a difference in marine environment management.
They need people who have the ability to think through complex issues, who can analyse the marine environment through field measurements and modelling, which are capable of managing projects and programmes, and have well developed leadership and personal skills.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Compulsory mobility is instrumental to the learning outcomes and to the success of the programme, as well as to facilitate the development of soft skills by the students.
- Innovative teaching and learning; university excellence in the European Higher Education Area
- Competitiveness in marine environment research and management
- Scheduled satellite activities, summer research internships and professional placement internships will contribute to enhance the general and transversal skills.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHydrology & Water Management Marine Engineering Environmental Sciences View 9 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in Spain
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Copy (pdf) of the official Transcript of Records of all courses taken to achieve the BSc degree
- Copy (pdf) of the BSc Degree Diploma, or equivalent suitable to be eligible for the MER2030 EMJMD Programme
- Curriculum Vitae (pdf) in Europass format or equivalent
- Motivation Letter (pdf), explaining the applicant’s personal statement and motivation to participate in the MER2030 EMJMD Programme – maximum length (6000 characters)
- Two Reference Forms or Recommendation Letters submitted by academic/professional staff (on-line application procedure)3
- Complete the Proposed Study Plan Form (on-line), indicating the teaching modules of preference, research topics of interest and additional information4
- Signed “Erasmus+ Scholarship Mandatory Declaration“ form, where applicants declare they comply with Erasmus+ eligibility requirements (e.g., 12 month rule, etc.)
- Proof of Proficiency in English
- Photograph (passport type)
International9000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA4500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Bilbao
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.