In connection with the processes of modelling and analyzing in natural sciences and technology, they account for the fact that mathematics and theoretical physics are important foundation pillars and central innovative factors of our civilization.
The elite Theoretical and Mathematical Physics programme offered by Ludwig-Maximilians-University (LMU) Munich offers students both an in-depth and broad education in theoretical and mathematical physics.
Two aspects are of particular importance:
- The interdisciplinarity between modern theoretical physics and mathematics.
- The basic goal here is to demonstrate that physics and mathematics share many common questions.
- The transdisciplinarity, i.e. the transfer of knowledge from one discipline to a related one.
The focus for physics students, on the one hand, is on the use of mathematical methods, while, on the other hand, mathematicians are being guided in modern physics questions.
- Mathematical Quantum Mechanics
- Quantum Field Theory
- Differential Geometry
- Mathematical Statistical Mechanics
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics Mathematics Applied Mathematics View 94 other Masters in Physics in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Ludwig-Maximilians-University (LMU) Munich and/or in Germany, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A one page statement of why you want to join the elite graduate program "Theoretical and Mathematical Physics"
- You high-school diploma (Zeugnis der Hochschulreife), in translation if appropriate
- Your bachelor certificate in physics or mathematics displaying your grades (alternatively: Vordiplomszeugnis and grades of subsequent courses or a recent "Transcript of records", if available)
- Curriculum vitae containing your current mailing address as well as your date of birth and nationalities
- A letter of recommendation (can be sent separately or by email to the same address. If your referee prefers to use encrypted email - this is optional -, the appropriate cryptographic keys can be found below)
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
In practice, Ludwig-Maximilians-University charges a solidary fee of approx. Euro 150 per semester.
Living costs for München
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.