The MEd Counselling degree from University of New Brunswick also offers you a combined research and practice-based degree, prior to pursuing your doctoral studies in counselling psychology.
Note: The MEd Counselling degree is not designed to qualify people for licensure as a psychologist.
Work with individuals, groups and families
Counsellors work to address a wide range of issues related to daily life and development, including:
- career choice and adjustment
- successfully making life transitions
- functioning in interpersonal relationships
- emotional and behaviour problems
Faculty conduct research on issues such as:
- career and vocational development
- counselling processes
- therapeutic relationships
- growth psychology
- the practice of counselling and counselling psychology in Canada
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Piluwitahasuwawsuwakon in Counselling Practice
- Group Procedures in Counselling Psychology
- Theories in Counselling Psychology
- Processes and Skills in Counselling Psychology
- Interpersonal Process & Practice in Counselling Psychology
- Professional Practice and Ethics
- 20 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- MEd course route: 10 courses (33 credit hours which includes a six-credit-hour practicum)
- MEd thesis route: 10 courses + thesis (48 credit hours)
DisciplinesEducation Counselling View 165 other Masters in Education in Canada
- at least one undergraduate level course (3 credits) in theories of counselling, theories of personality or theories of psychopathology.
- at least one undergraduate level course (3 credits) in counselling/guidance practices, counselling interviewing skills, alliance formation skills, or social work practice skills.
- at least one undergraduate level course (3 credits) in human development, child or adult development, or developmental psychology.
- Applicants are expected to hold a four-year undergraduate degree with a grade point average of at least 3.0 (B, or its equivalent).
- Well-qualified applicants will have completed undergraduate courses at the advanced level in psychology or counselling.
- A completed online application
- Letter of interest
- Up-to-date resumé
- Three reference letters (academic references are preferred, particularly if other degrees were recent)
- Official transcripts (copied or opened transcripts are not official)
- minimum of one year's experience in some aspect of human services. (Volunteer work is accepted as experience)
International1435 CAD/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1435 CAD per module during 20 months.
National874 CAD/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 874 CAD per module during 20 months.
Living costs for Fredericton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.