- The programme at the University of Eastern Finland provides the student with strong theoretical background in Biomedicine and hands-on expertise in biomedical research techniques. The students learn not only about the current developments but also near future challenges facing molecular biomedicine, especially genome-based diagnostics and personalized treatments.
- Focus of the studies is on Molecular Medicine, and there is a good balance between the theoretical studies and practical training. In the advanced level courses, you will learn e.g. principles of disease development at the molecular and cellular level, cell and tissue imaging techniques, computer-aided data analysis as well as writing a scientific manuscript.
- The education is based on top quality research conducted at the Institute of Biomedicine, the A. I. Virtanen Institute for Molecular Sciences, and the School of Pharmacy.
- The first study year starts with orientation to help our international students to familiarize themselves to the Finnish study environment. The orientation is followed by courses that take 2 to 4 weeks each. A course may include lectures, seminars and even lab works. You may have several courses going on at the same time, but there is a remade timetable ensuring that there will be no overlaps. There is no special exam period as every course has its own exam at the end of the course. The second year has only few courses as the majority of the year is dedicated for the MSc thesis research project and for writing the thesis.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiomedicine Biology Human Medicine View 11 other Masters in Biomedicine in Finland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Student selection will be based on the application documents and evaluation how the applicant's skills and competences gained by the previous academic studies correspond to the Master´s studies applied. Also the success in earlier studies, possible earlier research experience, the Motivation letter and the performance in the interview will be taken into account in the selection process. Note, that a previous MSc degree (or higher), or present study place in University of Eastern Finland, are not necessarily considered to be beneficial. Meeting the minimum application requirements does not guarantee acceptance to the programme.
International10000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Joensuu
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.