The English degree offered by the University of Bergen is composed of 120 ECTS credits and is made up of two main parts: coursework and a Master's thesis each worth 60 credits.
With a master’s degree in English, you are highly trained in reading carefully and evaluating sources, communicating clearly and discriminating between fact and opinion.
Society needs people who recognize the power of literature and humanities, and how books have an impact on communities and individuals. The master’s degree in English will qualify you for work in both public and private sectors.
Our graduates work in translation, export industry, public administration and teaching—both abroad and in Norway.
72% of alumni with a master’s degree from the Faculty of Humanities say that they have found relevant work within two years of graduating.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Selected Topic in English Linguistics
- Methods for Master's Students in Language and Linguistics
- Thesis Writing Preparation for English Literature and Culture
- Selected Topic in English Literature and/or Culture
- Literary Theory
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesLanguages Literature Linguistics View 3 other Masters in Languages in Norway
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Other bachelor degrees can qualify if you can document minimum 80 ECTS in English literature, culture or linguistics, or equivalent.
- Applicants with education from outside of Norway, must have finished a three- or four-year undergraduate (Bachelor's) degree at an approved institution of higher education. The bachelor degree must include a specialization in English equivalent to one and a half years of full-time study.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
The semester fee is NOK 590
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.