The courses in the Earth science Master's Programme provide depth and diverse possibilities for subject specialisation. The courses also give you extensive experience with new analytical methods and the ability to evaluate and present complex issues within the Earth sciences.
The Earth Sciences Master's programme is offered at the University of Gothenburg, Faculty of Science.
This educational programme gives you the tools required for working with advanced Earth science applications within government and industry, as well as preparing you for a possible continuation of your academic career.
Examples of working areas are at national and international companies, governmental agencies, institutes and other organisations dealing with natural resource and environmental management, for instance consultants and companies within the energy, insurance and construction sectors.
The programme consists of three profile areas, which intent to give you a clearly defined specialisation in the orientation of your choice.
- Environmental and Applied Geology has three goals, to explain and illustrate why different geological materials have specific characteristics, why there are systematic trends in the physical environment, and how this knowledge can be applied in society.
- Bedrock Geology focuses on courses in magmatic and metamorphic petrology, geochemistry, economic geology and geophysics combined with excursions to study the Scandinavian Precambrian bedrock.
- Physical Geography/Climatology investigates the interactions between climate, society and terrestrial environments, both natural and urban. Here knowledge of past climate and natural geography is combined with applied studies of how climate affects humans and the environment, now and in the future.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesEarth Sciences View 12 other Masters in Earth Sciences in Sweden
- Bachelor's degree in Earth Sciences of 180 hec at an accredited (internationally recognized) university including at least 90 hec in a major subject. Applicants must prove their knowledge of English: English 6/English B from Swedish Upper Secondary School or the equivalent level of an internationally recognized test, for example TOEFL, IELTS.
- Selection: Selection is based upon the number of credit points from previous university studies, maximum 225 hec.
International11246 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22493 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
- Application fee: 900 SEK
- Full programme cost: 232 806 SEK
- First payment: 58 202 SEK
We are convinced that education and research flourish in an international environment. A mixture of students from different cultures enriches the learning environment and the University believes that motivated students should have a chance to study here even if they don’t have the means to cover all costs.
- The University of Gothenburg Study Scholarship & New Scholarships from Adlerbert Scholarship Foundation
- Swedish Institute's Scholarship
- The Volvo Group Scholarship
- The Richard C. Malmsten Memorial Foundation Scholarship
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.