This critical appraisal of such a wide range of genres gives you a solid understanding of what makes film work well, enabling you to improve your own production skills in camerawork, editing, lighting, screenwriting and production management.
You gain a strong sense of independent filmmaking practice, and learn to apply your academic knowledge of film through exploring topics including:
- The formal, social, cultural and political dimensions of films from both within and beyond Hollywood
- Fiction film production, including pre-production, camera, lighting and sound
- Classics of the documentary form , docufictions and mockumentaries
- Collective and individual filmmaking projects
- Storyboarding and editing
- We actively encourage and assist you to find appropriate internship and work placement opportunities during your studies, allowing you to practice and develop your skills and experience as well as enhancing your graduate employment prospects.
- A number of our Department of Literature, Film, and Theatre Studies graduates have gone on to undertake successful careers as scholars, university lecturers, teachers, publishers, journalists, arts administrators, theatre artistic directors, drama advisers, filmmakers, film editors and translators.
- We also offer supervision for PhD, MPhil and MA by Dissertation in different literatures and various approaches to literature, covering most aspects of early modern and modern writing in English, plus a number of other languages.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Critical Moments in the Theory and History of Film
Documentary and the Avant-garde: Film, Video, Digital
Queer: Literature, Culture, History
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media View 565 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A 2.2 degree in Creative Writing, Theatre/Drama Studies, Literature, Film and Media Studies, Modern Languages , Art History, Music, Philosophy, History, American Studies, Performance studies, Journalism, Law, Politics and Sociology.
- You may be asked to provide a piece of creative writing if you do not hold a degree in a relevant field.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19740 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19740 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9200 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Home/UK fee: £4,600
- International fee: £9,870
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.