This Croatian Language and Literature program offered by Eötvös Loránd University is recommended to applicants who have a special interest in Croatian language and literature and wish to work in an area that requires Croatian language skills or is related to Croatian culture. The MA program does not provide teaching qualifications.
This program enables students to work as specialists of Croatian philology in the economic, cultural, political or social field. There are many opportunities for young professionals with an excellent command of Croatian and a good understanding of Croatian culture as well as the historical, economic and social trends in contemporary Croatia.
Strength of program
Students graduating from our university with an MA degree in Croatian Studies have broad knowledge of philology with a specialization in Croatian literature and linguistics. The structure of our MA program is flexible and meets the needs of students with various interests. The strength of the course is also indicated by the scholarly achievements of the department staff (eg. regular participation in national and international conferences, regularly organized international conferences on Slavonic Studies, numerous books and other national and international publications.)
Students graduating from our university with an MA degree in Croatian Studies have an opportunity to work for Croatian or/and Hungarian joint companies, in the field of culture or the educational sector, in the tourist industry, or to find employment related to the cooperation between Croatia and Hungary in a broader context. Our graduates can also engage in an academic career and after completing the doctoral training and the successful defense of a doctoral dissertation obtain a PhD degree.
- Scholar in Croatian Studies
- Organizer in various fields of Croatian culture
- Expert on Croatian culture
- Literary translator
- Specialist in diplomacy
- Modern Croatian culture, language, literature
- Old Slavic foundations Croatian language and literature
- Contemporary Croatian language
- History of the Croatian language
- Romance and realism in Croatian literature
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Languages View 13 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Hungary
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must hold a university bachelor’s degree (or an equivalent college degree) in the fields listed below. Full credit acknowledgement is only given for a bachelor’s degree in Slavonic Studies, Specialized in Croatian Studies.
- In the case of any other degree, each diploma will be considered individually. The applicant must have 30 credits in the field of Croatian language, linguistics, literature or culture studies which might be acquired during the MA studies according to the Academic Regulations of the university.
- Transcripts from your bachelor's degree as well as course descriptions will be requested.
- Medium level language competence in Croatian (B2 level).
- Secondary school certificate (graduation certificate)
- Bachelor-level degree
- Transcript of records
- Motivation letter
- Copy of the main pages of the passport
- Copy of application fee transfer
- Copy of the Entrance exam fee transfer
- Language certificate
International4400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2200 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEA4400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2200 EUR per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Budapest
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.