This Bulgarian Language and Literature program at the Eötvös Loránd University is recommended to applicants who have a special interest in the Bulgarian language and literature and wish to work in an area that requires Bulgarian language skills or is related to the Bulgarian culture. The MA program does not provide teaching qualifications.
This program enables students to work as specialists of Bulgarian philology in the fields of economy, culture, politics or social sciences. There are many opportunities for young professionals with an excellent command of Bulgarian and a good understanding of Bulgarian culture, as well as historical, economic and social trends in contemporary Bulgaria.
Strength of program
Students graduating from our university with an MA degree in Bulgarian Studies have general knowledge of philology with a specialization in Bulgarian literature and linguistics. The structure of our MA program is flexible and meets the needs of students with various interests. The strength of the course is also indicated by the scholarly achievements of the department staff (eg. regular participation in national and international conferences, regularly organized international conferences on Slavonic Studies, numerous books and other national and international publications.)
Students graduating from our university with an MA degree in Bulgarian Studies can work for Bulgarian or/and Hungarian joint companies, in the field of culture or the educational sector, in the tourist industry, or to find employment related to cooperation between Bulgaria and Hungary in a broader context. Our graduates can also engage in an academic career and after completing the doctoral training and a successful defense of the doctoral dissertation obtain a PhD degree.
- Scholar in Bulgarian Studies
- Organizer in various fields of Bulgarian culture
- Expert on Bulgarian culture
- Literary translator
- Specialist in diplomacy
- Modern Bulgarian culture, language and literature
- Old Slavic foundations of the Bulgarian language and literature
- Practical exercises in the terminology of the Bulgarian language
- Old Bulgarian Literature Romanticism and realism in Bulgarian literature
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must hold a university bachelor’s degree (or an equivalent college degree) in the fields listed below. Full credit acknowledgement is only given for a bachelor’s degree in Slavonic Studies, Specialized in Bulgarian Studies.
- In the case of any other degree, each diploma will be considered individually. The applicant must have 30 credits in the field of Bulgarian language, linguistics, literature or culture studies which might be acquired during the MA studies according to the Academic Regulations of the university.
- Transcripts from your bachelor's degree as well as course descriptions will be requested.
- Medium level language competence in Bulgarian (B2 level).
- Secondary school certificate
- Bachelor-level degree
- Transcript of records
- Motivation letter
- Copy of the main pages of the passport (needs to be valid)
- Copy of application fee transfer
- Copy of the Entrance exam fee transfer
- Language certificate
International4400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2200 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEA4400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2200 EUR per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Budapest
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.