The prediction of natural disasters and the efficient search for raw materials are becoming more and more important for mankind. With its findings, geophysics contributes, for example, to the understanding of the processes that lead to the formation of earthquakes, or helps to assess the opportunities and risks involved in the extraction of raw materials.
Since the Institute for Geophysics is part of the KlimaCampus Hamburg and is actively involved in the CliSAP Cluster of Excellence, it offers an active and attractive teaching and research environment. The students are actively involved in research programs at an early stage. With their knowledge, graduates are prepared for a successful career in research or in companies.
The Geophysics MSc course at the University of Hamburg is highly regarded internationally, so that graduates in research, development, administration and industry have excellent opportunities for managerial positions. Geophysicists work at research institutions or are employed in research and teaching at universities. Other professional fields are, for example, geophysical measuring stations, authorities (geological state offices) or companies involved in the extraction of raw materials. Geophysicists can also work in engineering offices that carry out subsoil investigations or in the development of measuring instruments and software.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Core modules and accompanying computer-aided exercises (special knowledge and practice), additional modules, e.g. for security in the application-oriented numerical simulation of geophysical processes, data inversion and interpretation as well as modern signal processing
- Preparatory module for the master's thesis (knowledge of methods and planning)
- Master thesis
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Graduated from the consecutive bachelor's degree in geophysics / oceanography at the University of Hamburg or a comparable degree from a university
- Graduated from another mathematical-physical course of study in which comparable academic achievements were achieved with the consecutive bachelor's degree in geophysics / oceanography.
- English proficiency
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
- No tuition fee but a semester contribution of €328.
Living costs for Hamburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.