At a Glance
The Celtic and Anglo - Saxon Studies programme of the University of Aberdeen is the only one of its kind in Scotland. Focusing on the literature and culture of early and mediaeval Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England, as well as Normandy, Scandinavia and Iceland, we pursue interdisciplinary research in collaboration with neighbouring disciplines, especially Gaelic, Scandinavian Studies, History and English.
Our primary research specialisms include:
- Interactions between the Celtic and Anglo-Saxon worlds and Classical literature
- Gods, monsters and Otherworlds in mediaeval and modern literature
- Celtic and Germanic heroic tales
- New Testament apocrypha in the Celtic and Anglo-Saxon worlds
- Comparisons between Gaelic and Nordic literature and folklore
- Kingship in the Gaelic world
- Mediaeval understandings of history and fiction
CareersPostgraduate degrees in Gaelic or Celtic & Anglo-Saxon Studies can lead to careers in University teaching and research, but they can also lead to careers in, for example, the civil service, tourism, heritage management and the media. With the implementation of the Gaelic Language Act, special opportunities may be expected to arise for graduates who have acquired the ability to speak and write Scottish Gaelic with fluency.
- Centre for Celtic and Anglo-Saxon Studies and Research Institute of Irish and Sottish Studies
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Literature View 636 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Aberdeen and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- To apply for this programme must have at least a good Honours degree in a related subject or discipline
- Applicants must provide a detailed research proposal and two academic references from their most recent academic institution
International17900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17900 GBP per year during 12 months.
National4567 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4567 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Aberdeen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.