This Social Research Methods MSc course offered by the University of Southampton is for students who have gained funding for PhD research from the South Coast Doctoral Training Partnership (SCDTP).
We’ll train you in a range of research methods to prepare you for PhD study. In addition you’ll gain subject-specific knowledge in one of the areas covered by the South Coast Doctoral Training Partnership (a collaboration between the universities of Southampton, Brighton and Portsmouth).
After graduating from this course you’ll be able to:
- define your PhD research topic and defend your approach in a written proposal
- carry out in-depth research in the social sciences
- understand research methodologies, research design and the philosophy of social science
- understand the key debates and issues in your PhD subject area
- work in an interdisciplinary research environment
- think and evaluate critically
The pathway you’ll take on this master’s course depends on your area of PhD study and where you’ll be based for your PhD. All of the pathways are listed in the programme specification, which you can download on this page. The pathways are all based in Southampton, apart from where noted in the specification.
You’ll only be eligible for this course if you have successfully applied for funding from the SCDTP on its 1+3 training pathway (masters and PhD). Visit southcoastdtp.ac.uk for more information.
After successfully graduating from this master’s course, you’ll move on to your PhD studies at your chosen institution.
- Advanced Statistical Methods in Psychology
- Analysis of Hierarchical (Multilevel & Longitudinal) Data
- Area Studies Dissertation (Portsmouth)
- Area Studies: Research Techniques and Data Sources
- Concepts & Skills
- Concepts and methodologies for Area Studies
- Contemporary Issues and debates in Human Resource Management
- Contemporary Security Challenges
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesPsychology Sociology Statistics View 567 other Masters in Sociology in United Kingdom
- You’ll need a 2:1 degree in a social sciences or related subject.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- You must get funding from the South Coast Doctoral Training Partnership before applying for this course.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.