At a Glance
The Cybersecurity programme of the University of Aberdeen teaches you to apply cybersecurity practices to protect personal devices to national critical infrastructure, both through existing methods and those of your own design. You will work at the cutting-edge of cybersecurity and privacy practices and will be equipped to work in diverse security and privacy roles in academia and industry.
You will gain the knowledge and practical expertise to evaluate, design and build secure and privacy-preserving systems ranging from household devices like kettles and children’s toys to large critical infrastructures like nuclear plants and energy grids.
It is designed for graduate students and IT/ICT professionals who want to prepare for a successful career in cybersecurity and data privacy.
The ideal candidate for the course is an inquisitive, creative and curious person who wants to make the future of digital technologies and societies safe and secure. The course will provide the skills to secure current and emerging technologies and give you all the knowledge needed to attain international cybersecurity certifications.
Graduates from MSc Cybersecurity will be well-equipped to work in cybersecurity companies, general software consultancy companies, specialised software development businesses and the IT departments of large institutions (financial, telecommunications, and public sector).
Aside from industry-focused careers, the MSc Cybersecurity will also train graduates to enter into the field of academic and industrial research in areas such as cybersecurity, machine learning, software engineering, algorithms and computer networks.
Cybersecurity jobs remain in high demand in the UK and that number is only set to grow, with the skills gap still very much a reality for employers. Figures from the global information security workforce study, which show there could be around 100,000 unfilled cybersecurity jobs in the UK by 2022.
In the USA, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the rate of growth for jobs in information security is projected at 37% from 2012–2022 - a much faster than the average for all other occupations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Security in Emerging Networks
- Enterprise Security Architecture
- Artificial Intelligence, Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Digital Forensics and Incident Management
- Information Governance, Data Security and Privacy
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesInformatics & Information Sciences IT Security Cyber Security View 125 other Masters in IT Security in United Kingdom
- A Bachelor's degree with a 2:2 (lower second class) Honours degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science or another relevant quantitative discipline such as Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Natural Science, Electronic Engineering, General Engineering, Operations Research, or a joint degree in two such subjects
- Applicants should also be competent in computer programming to the level expected at the end of the first year of a BSc honours degree in computer science
- English Language Requirements
- A full transcript showing all the subjects you studied and the marks you have achieved in your degree(s) (original & official English translation)
- Personal Statement
International21500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10200 GBP per year during 12 months.
- RUK students fee - £10,200 per year
Living costs for Aberdeen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.