This Public Health Intelligence MSc course offered at the University of Southampton will give you the skills for a career that makes a difference. Graduates of this course have gone on to work for the government and public bodies in both the UK and abroad, including Public Health England, local government, ministries of health, and universities.
The specialist public health intelligence areas you can explore include:
- using geographical information systems in health analysis and health management
- health economics for public health
- advanced statistics
You can personalise this course to your interests through optional modules and your dissertation. In previous years students have looked at the spatial and temporal distribution of antenatal care services in Bangladesh and altitude and stroke in Ecuador.
You’ll be taught by specialists from our Population Health and Wellbeing research group. This group developed the census output and workplace zones for the 2011 UK Census and they co-direct the Economic and Social Research Council’s Administrative Data Research Centre for England.
Public health is an interdisciplinary profession, and this is reflected in your learning. Your lecturers are academics who are actively involved in research or are working in the sector. They’re experts from across the University, in Public Health Geography and Social Science.
We also offer 4 other pathways on our MSc Public Health Master's. If you decide that you’d like to change to a different public health specialism within the first 2 weeks of the semester you’ll be able to change your degree.
Your Public Health MSc pathway options are:
- Public Health - Discover our Public Health master's degree at the University of Southampton. Boost your career skills in global disease prevention & management.
- Public Health Global Health - Discover our Public Health Global Health master's degree at the University of Southampton. Learn the links between health, climate change, urbanisation and conflict.
- Public Health Management - Discover our Public Health Management master's degree at the University of Southampton. Learn to apply systems thinking to global and local health issues.
- Public Health Nutrition - Discover our Public Health Nutrition master's degree at the University of Southampton. Learn to develop the skills to become a public health nutritionist.
This course is also available as an intercalation degree for undergraduate medical students. Intercalation means that you'll take a year out of your undergraduate medicine degree to gain this extra award.
This master’s degree is very applied. Learning reflects real-world multi-disciplinary teams and we assess you through practical tasks. This will prepare you well for health intelligence jobs across the sector.
Job roles could include:
- information officer
- public health data manager
- public health intelligence analyst
- intelligence manager
Previous graduates have gone on to work for the Medical Research Council, Public Health England, local government, universities and charities such as Action Against Hunger.
Some graduates go on to take a PhD and some are working for themselves as independent consultants or educators.
You’ll also gain transferable skills that will improve your employability in whichever career you choose, including:
- how to conduct research projects
- collaboration, negotiation and influencing skills
- effective communication using a range of methods
- Core Skills in GIS
- Development and Implementation of Public Health Policies and Strategies
- Dissertation by Research/Professional Project
- Enabling Change for Health Improvement
- Epidemiology: Concepts, Analysis and Application
- Health Economics for Public Health
- Statistics and SPSS
- Qualitative Methods for Public Health
- You must also choose from the following modules:
- Advanced Statistical Methods in Epidemiology
- GIS for Analysis of Health
- GIS for Healthcare Management
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesPublic Health Health Sciences Health Informatics View 1015 other Masters in Public Health in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Southampton and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- To apply for this master's in health intelligence, you’ll need at least a 2:2 degree in a health sciences, biomedical or medical subject.
International21000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU and international students pay £21,000.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.