This Public Health Global Health MSc course offered by the University of Southampton focuses on work-related learning; you’ll work in multi-disciplinary teams and practise real-world tasks. Graduates of this course have gone on to work for the government and public bodies both in the UK and abroad, including:
- Public Health England
- local government
- ministries of health
- national and international non-government organisations
You’ll learn to develop and evaluate public health programmes and conduct epidemiological studies. The specialist areas you’ll be able to explore include:
- critical issues in global public health
- analysing trends and differentials in global health
- communicable disease control
- health economics in public health
Through your dissertation, you can personalise this course to your interests. In previous years students have analysed problems using national data sets such as the Demographic Health Surveys and Multiple Indicator Cluster Surveys.
Public health is an interdisciplinary profession, and this is reflected in your learning. Your lecturers are academics who are actively involved in research or are working in the sector. They’re experts from across the University, in Public Health, Demography and Social Science.
This master’s in global public health is very applied. Learning reflects real-world multi-disciplinary teams and we assess you through practical tasks. This will prepare you well for a career where you can influence local, national and international policy making.
Graduates go on to work as global health analysts and practitioners in a number of different public health settings, including:
- non-governmental organisations (NGOs)
- local and national government departments
- health and social care
- market research
Previous graduates have gone on to work for the Medical Research Council, Health Education England, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Portsmouth City Council and charities such as Action against Hunger.
Possible job roles include:
- public health policy analyst
- programme manager
- field consultant
- health educator
Some graduates go on to take a PhD and some are working for themselves as independent consultants or educators.
You’ll also gain transferable skills that will improve your employability in whichever career you choose, including:
- how to conduct research projects
- collaboration, negotiation and influencing skills
- effective communication using a range of methods
- Critical Issues in Global Health: Concepts and Case Studies
- Development and Implementation of Public Health Policies and Strategies
- Dissertation by Research/Professional Project
- Enabling Change for Health Improvement
- Epidemiology: Concepts, Analysis and Application
- Statistics and SPSS
- Methods and Analysis of Global Health Trends and Differentials
- Qualitative Methods for Public Health
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesPublic Health Health Management Health Sciences View 1966 other Masters in Health Sciences in United Kingdom
- For this master's in global public health, you’ll need at least a 2:2 degree in a health sciences, biomedical or medical subject.
International21000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU and international students pay £21,000.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.